Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello! I'm new to *everything*

Talking Hello! I'm new to *everything*

I'm reading the other threads and it seems that everyone else has come to fellrunning from running first.

At the moment I cycle to work (4 miles there, 4 miles back and on the flat) so that's not a great deal of fitness. In a few weeks I move house so won't be cycling to work anymore, and I know I'm going to miss it - however I will be living on the side of a hill in Rossendale so I though, AHA! I'll do fell running. I went in to buy a sports bra and said "I'm taking up fell running" and they fell about laughing. It does seem to be something that people go into after doing other running...

So I've started going for jog/walks to try and get myself into it, but bimbling along the flat is very boring, and I keep detouring onto the beach. I'm definitely not a road runner!

I'm looking forward to it, but am I being a bit insane wanting to head up hills when I'm not even a "proper" runner - ie not very fit?

Re: Hello! I'm new to *everyth

Wanting to get out and about, and finding road running boring - perfect reasons to start fell running. Welcome.

Just because you feel inexperienced doesn't mean that everyone else is an expert. And, just because people have been running a long time doesn't make them any better at it, or more deserving at having a go, than you. If you lived more 'up north' I'd say let's go for a run together, but I'm in Ambleside so a bit too far away.

Quote Originally Posted by yomper View Post
    I'm reading the other threads and it seems that everyone else has come to fellrunning from running first.

At the moment I cycle to work (4 miles there, 4 miles back and on the flat) so that's not a great deal of fitness. In a few weeks I move house so won't be cycling to work anymore, and I know I'm going to miss it - however I will be living on the side of a hill in Rossendale so I though, AHA! I'll do fell running. I went in to buy a sports bra and said "I'm taking up fell running" and they fell about laughing. It does seem to be something that people go into after doing other running...

So I've started going for jog/walks to try and get myself into it, but bimbling along the flat is very boring, and I keep detouring onto the beach. I'm definitely not a road runner!

I'm looking forward to it, but am I being a bit insane wanting to head up hills when I'm not even a "proper" runner - ie not very fit?
    Hi, Yomper, you are only insane in the way we all are on here. And not all of us are super-fit, I can assure you. Explore and you will find that some of us are over-weight, some smoke, many are languishing with injuries and some even with broken bones. Some, like me, are distinctly over the hill. Some poor wretches live in the South of England!!!

IMO, walking, especially hill walking, is the best preparation for running of any sort. You might like to build up the length of your walks (join a local group?) and on other days run on valley footpaths and trails to get more used to off-road running. You could also do some weight training in the gym to build up strength in your legs for coping with hills and rough ground. (Not everyone here will agree with this.) It sounds as if, what with the cycling, the jogging and the sports bra you've made a great start already.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Welcome to the forum Yomper, good advice from Eleanor and Alexandra, just get up in them hills and run when you can and walk when you can't, it's that simple, stick with it and before you know it your fitness will increase. Don't be bothered what other people think, do what you enjoy and if someone falls about laughing at you, laugh back, works for me. Think: I can and i will:wink:
    Hills and Guinness!

Insanity is a pre-requisite for fell running.

If you'd said you'd never run and were thinking of doing the BGR next month we might have thought you very stupid but not insane.

Some amazingly fit people on this forum and in fell running generally BUT most of us are mere mortals. Yes most of us have progressed from other forms of running but not everyone.

Fitness will come. Unless you're a seasoned hill walker I'd say you might need to strengthen your ankles. Try a wobbleboard. Other than just enjoy it and don't worry about what anyone else is doing / achieveing / thinking.

Ahh well I do plenty of walking, so maybe things won't be too bad! I just have memories of school cross country runs that leave me shivering in corners.

In my head, I'm leaping over mountains. In reality... I fell sideways into a bog on Saturday, and that was just out for a walk.

Welcome Yomper!
    Have courage and determination and you will be alright!
    Get out and enjoy those hills. Where there's a will, there's a way!
    Have fun! :thumbup:
    Last edited by Mountain Goatess; 21-03-2011 at 10:37 PM.
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

... I fell sideways into a bog on Saturday, and that was just out for a walk.
    You are definitely at home here!

Awwww thank you to everyone who has said hello!

Awwww thank you to everyone who has said hello!
    ...and from me yomper. welcome to the sunny, sweaty, misty, rainy, windy, snowy, achey world of joy we call fell running/walking)