Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello! I'm new to *everything*

Re: Hello! I'm new to *everyth

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyfeet View Post
    I'm new to fell running Yomper and I've been dedicated since last September. I decided to turn my daydreams into reality. I can now be found lying in ditches all over the North York Moors and Nidderdale. It's great. Sometime I can't get up for laughing.
    I think I may have seen you in a Nidderdale ditch last week Ff. Apologies for not saying 'Hello' as I ran by on the other side, I hadn't realised you were a forumite.

Oh, and welcome yomper. I was going to ask with a name like that if you used to be a Royal Marine, till I read about the bra!

On the other hand though, I do know some booties who wear tights in the winter.
    Last edited by Brotherton Lad; 22-03-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andy k View Post
    On the topic of fell running and walking let me share with you a post race comment once made by Gavin Bland, an English and British Champion fell runner.

"Not really a proper fell race, I never had to walk once"
    Does this, by extension, make me a better fell runner than Mr Bland?

perhaps more "authentic" ?
    maybe more "experienced" ?
    Last edited by andy k; 22-03-2011 at 05:01 PM.

Welcome Yomper. I second the person that said to change your running shop! cheeky beggars.

I got into fellrunning a few years ago by mistake when I agreed to do a race that I thought was a road race (Guisborough Three Tops). I loved it and have never looked back.

Just keep getting out there. You become a fell runner by running on fells and it doesn't matter if you are slow or fast the important thing is to enjoy it. You can see already that most people here are friendly and helpful and will give you lots of advice (some of it confusing and conflicting but you can take what you want from it ).

Quote Originally Posted by yomper View Post
    I'm reading the other threads and it seems that everyone else has come to fellrunning from running first.

At the moment I cycle to work (4 miles there, 4 miles back and on the flat) so that's not a great deal of fitness. In a few weeks I move house so won't be cycling to work anymore, and I know I'm going to miss it - however I will be living on the side of a hill in Rossendale so I though, AHA! I'll do fell running. I went in to buy a sports bra and said "I'm taking up fell running" and they fell about laughing. It does seem to be something that people go into after doing other running...

So I've started going for jog/walks to try and get myself into it, but bimbling along the flat is very boring, and I keep detouring onto the beach. I'm definitely not a road runner!

I'm looking forward to it, but am I being a bit insane wanting to head up hills when I'm not even a "proper" runner - ie not very fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post

I was going to ask with a name like that if you used to be a Royal Marine, till I read about the bra!
    Aren't women allowed to be Royal Marines?
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Eek, I want to reply to everyone at once rather than doing a zillion separate replies...
    I don't think I'm up to Pendle yet but give me a little while!
    I know Marl Pits, it's opposite the soon-to-be-mother-in-laws house. If I join the Harriers for running, I'll have a good excuse to leg it out of there before she makes me knit her some more hats.
    Regarding "yomper", that's cos I used to be involved with Army Cadets and really enjoyed a good yomp up the hills. Then I got very ill (crohn's) and lost a load of weight, and it's been a slog since then to get back the fitness that I used to just take for granted.
    The ladies in the bra shop, once they stopped laughing, were pretty helpful - I think they were laughing at the way I said it, really. It was a bit disconcerting to have to jump up and down, semi-naked, so they could check if I bounced, though!

Thought Yomping was a Royal Marine term. Tabbing int Army, Tactical Advance to Battle, or Tatp in my case, Tactical advance t'pub
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Aren't women allowed to be Royal Marines?
    Don't Royal Marines dress up as women when they go ashore
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyfeet View Post
    I'm new to fell running Yomper and I've been dedicated since last September. I decided to turn my daydreams into reality. I can now be found lying in ditches all over the North York Moors and Nidderdale. It's great. Sometime I can't get up for laughing.
    Ah well if you're ever over Niddeerdale way then give me shout for a run or a cuppa. I'll be moving to Bewerley in a few weeks time.:thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by yomper View Post
    It was a bit disconcerting to have to jump up and down, semi-naked, so they could check if I bounced, though!
    I'm always amazed how many women I see running around with their boobs bouncing about all over the place. Must be a fair few black eyes about!! :w00t:

Shock Absorber (and go for the version for doing the most extreme sports) is definately the best investment you can make in a sports bra :thumbup: