Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Hello! I'm new to *everything*

Re: Hello! I'm new to *everyth

Try running up the steep face of the south downs escarpment, that'll see virtually anyone off.

Oh dear, I had not realised that wearing armani was de rigeur. I've just got a scabby t-shirt.

I may be at a genetic disadvantage that is worse than that which plagues southerners. Yes, I confess: I'm originally from the Fens.

You are spot-on with the scabby t-shirt Yomper - de rigeur for all discerning fell runners!

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyfeet View Post
    May well do that, I'll work out who you are first and check your race results so as not to be humiliated on a training run! I'm just down the road in Ripon. I love coming up to Middlesmoor and Dale Edge, it's good training land..
    My first move to Yorkshire was to Ripon over 10 years ago.

No worries about me posting fast times, I've not been able to consistently run for the last five years so just getting back to it now. Going for enjoyment rather than speed at the moment!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Navigator View Post
    You are spot-on with the scabby t-shirt Yomper - de rigeur for all discerning fell runners!
    Add me to the scabby t-shirt brigade

Master

Quote Originally Posted by plodding bear View Post
    Try running up the steep face of the south downs escarpment, that'll see virtually anyone off.
    ... but the downs are too far south from us poor folk in the flats of East Anglia ...

lost between Blackstone Edge and Stoodley Pike

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Aren't women allowed to be Royal Marines?
    Yup; Royal Marines Band Service since mid 90's, bit after my time.

I only took up fell running when my girlfriend made me. I was into fell walking and ended up going "run-walking". In effect we don't try and run all day but only on the flat and down hill bits. We cover a hell of alot more ground this way but don't feel like we're racing. We managed the south glen shiel ridge in about 7 hours doing this and it certainly helps overall fitness. I have now done a couple of races (against my will) and also the highlander mountain marathon, which because we treated it like a couple of days out in the mountains instead of a race felt like really good fun.
    The main thing is enjoying it and (although it's always knackering, you just move faster) the fitness will come over time.

de rigueur
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Well after 3 weeks of really good resolutions I got myself up to a 2-miler (I know, I know, but I was starting from scratch and taking it steady) and BOM, tendonitis... after 5 days of agony, couldn't put any weight on it, succumbed to GP who agreed it could be the fact I have *awesome* muscles from cycling, so went further than my crappy tendons could handle. And for the last week I've been living in my new place in Rossendale, just gazing out at fantastic hills :-(
    Still, doctor did say it wasn't to put me off running...
    I'm going to start from scratch again, but with loads more warming up, cooling down, stretching and stuff.
    So... I'm STILL new to everything!