Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KM Vertical

This IMRA Carrauntoohil race

Climb (m):1137
    Distance (km):12.50
    It is an out and back so 1136 mtrs in 6.25Km. It would be easy to get a 1000m in 5Km out of that.
    In fact I reckon there would be a number of routes around the 1038 metre summit.

But thinking about it there is a slight drop after the summit of An Cahar, before the final climb to Carrauntoohil. Does it have to be in one continuous climb?

https://www.imra.ie/events/maps/id/1456/

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    This IMRA Carrauntoohil race

Climb (m):1137
    Distance (km):12.50
    It is an out and back so 1136 mtrs in 6.25Km. It would be easy to get a 1000m in 5Km out of that.
    In fact I reckon there would be a number of routes around the 1038 metre summit.

But thinking about it there is a slight drop after the summit of An Cahar, before the final climb to Carrauntoohil. Does it have to be in one continuous climb?

https://www.imra.ie/events/maps/id/1456/
    The main requirement for a vertical km is that the top should be at least 1000m higher than the start. Looking at the map on the IMRA website, the start appears to be at about 150m altitude, so this race doesn't qualify, even though the descent and re-ascent between An Cahar and Carrauntoohill (both ways) take the total of climbing over 1000m.

I haven't got a map of the area, but from the IMRA map it appears that the valley bottom is at about 80m, in which case a vertical km in Ireland is probably not possible.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges