Thread: 2018 Junior Championship

2018 Junior Championship

JUNIOR CHAMPS 2018 from Chris Jones FRA junior co ordinator
    Sorry for the delay in putting up these details – I know a few of you have been asking. I’d delayed as I was trying to sort out a date for the 6th race, now done and which will be our curtain raiser in the Lakes.
    I've tried to avoid fixture clashes with track etc as much as possible. Thanks to all the ROs and clubs involved.
    The 2018 English Junior champs races will be:
    March 25th - Todd Cragg (Ambleside AC organised)
    April 14th – Blacko, Lancs (Trawden AC)
    May 19th – Malham (KCAC)
    May 26th – West Nab (Holmfirth AC) also Yorkshire junior championships
    June 16th – Clougha Pike (Bowland Fell Runners)
    June 30th – Up the Nab (near Glossop), and Junior Inter Counties competition (Buxton AC and Des Gibbons)
    Full details of each race on the fellrunner.org.uk website under 2018 races

Administrator
    BLACKO HILL - FRA JUNIOR CHAMPS RACE

Here are full details of our inaugural Blacko Hill junior fell races taking place on Saturday 14th April, including start times and route map links for all four races: http://www.trawdenac.co.uk/our-races.php

KIT REQUIREMENTS:
    I know this is a hot topic at the moment. For all races (except U9s who do not go on the hill) we'll be checking kit of competitors as they enter the starting pen and spot checking in the finishing funnel as standard. Certain marshals will be actively monitoring juniors carrying kit, those mid-course without it will have their numbers taken and details passed to the FRA. With current weather forecast, kit is likely to be waterproof jacket, hat and gloves but as always, please bring best practice kit as weather may change and be prepared to wear it .

The response time from on the hill for an emergency may be 15-30mins. As guidance, whilst it may be a nice 10deg at start line, this is likely to be 6-7deg on the hill, so please consider this is a long time for an injured Junior to be awaiting emergency treatment. So if kit is always carried it is at worst an education opportunity for the Junior (and Parent!)

COURSE:
    We have had reports of runners recceing the course and in one case, vandalising and pulling stones off walls to create a firmer footing in muddy areas. The courses do cross private land and the landowners wishes need to be respected. As such, we have removed the links to the courses. There may now be slight amendments to the courses; course maps will be available to view at Registration. Shoes-wise, there is a farm track for the few hundred metres, farm fields for the rest (some quite boggy) so fell or grippy trail shoes are best.

All that said, we're looking forward to welcoming you all and may even have some Spring weather making an appearance! Please park sensibly and be courteous of local residents. Registration is open from 11am, races start on age cat order from 1pm and we have a hot drinks, hot sandwiches and cakes provided by Blacko Village Council in the recreation field throughout the event.

Trawden AC website page details here : http://www.trawdenac.co.uk/our-races.php

A reminder of the FRA Junior Champs details on Jim's page here : http://www.felljunior.org.uk/

See you Saturday!