Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulking Up

Re: Bulking Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    Very strange question to ask on a fellrunning forum. That said I hate bully type people. Bulking up won't do anything, he's obviously the sort of person that likes conflict so you probably won't be able to intimidate him, best thing to do is try and ignore him. It's really not worth it.

Most martial arts teach you how to fight, but inversely also teach inner confidence and the ability "not to fight" as a first option (if you understand my meaning). Golden rule is to always walk away where possible and only fight as a last resort.
    Good advice Rob, but if you do get thumped i've always found a good punch on the nose end will bring tears to the biggest man's eyes. Last resort though.
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by eavesy187 View Post
    Not sure I agree with Rob's bully comment. Sounds like you were out of line, and you've brought this on yourself.
    Didn't notice that bit, fair point. Looks like you owe someone an apology then, and if you get a slap you've only got yourself to blame really.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM32 View Post
    Hi guys. Was wondering if anyone had any experience of putting muscle on fairly quickly?

I've been getting some aggro of a guy at college recently because I tried to pull his girlfriend and he looks pretty hard. I want to put some muscle on to intimidate him but not sure where to start. I have a typical runners body so quite skinny and this guy is massive.

Cheers
    Why not talk to him and say " sorry mate I was out of order. I didn't realise you had something serious going. It is obvious that you are the best man in her eyes."

If reason doesn't work, then avoidance is the only tactic, unless you are good at violence and even then only as a last resort and away from any cctv etc!

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

From your original post - as others have said - it does look like you've brought it on yourself & therefore should face the consequences like a man. If it's just the way it's written (i.e. you didn't know it was his girlfriend before you started hitting on her) then it's a bit of a nasty situation you've landed in.

But bulking up quicky?

1) Bulking up won't necessarily put the bully off. Sometimes the bigger you are, the more they seek you out, as if you're a challenge! I had some dude square up to me in ASDA a few weeks back, because I clipped his trolley. He was in front of his bird and so just wouldn't leave it, despite the fact I had a good 2-3inches in height on him and at least half a stone.

2) There's no overnight 'bulk up' recipe. There's no real-life 'Weight Gain 4000' (Beefcake!!). You want to bulk up, you have to work your body and eat right.

I can understand wanting to bulk-up - I was 6'1" & 10.5st in my late teens and lacked confidence, and do take some confidence now from my 12.5st (and fairly trim) frame. However, to do this, you need to hit the weights and ensure you're eating right.

As has been said on other threads relating to weights/gym training, etc. you need to ensure there's a balance. Alexandra called them "mirror muscles" - the pecs and abs that most folk in your situation will focus on, but you need to ensure you also work the back (upper and lower), the shoulders, etc. And while you're at it, since you're a runner first and foremost, get the legs working too!

One other thing to bear in mind if you're a competitive runner (which I'm not), you'll have to work harder to cart your extra bulk around. I'm comfortable with that, but are you?
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Wow! Lot of hostility on here! I only came on to ask a question regarding training.

I didn't know this girl had a boyfriend - she came into my work for a haircut and we got chatting and got on really well. I then saw her on a night out and we got chatting again and she ended up coming back to my mum's. Nothing happened because she told me she had a boyfriend and I went mad at her and told her to get lost but then she went and told her boyfriend that I wouldn't leave her alone.

I've already taken one beating from this guy and I don't intend for it to happen again- just done 30 mins on my dad's chest expander and I'm going to walk around with my mum's ankle weights on all day. Does anyone have any experience of supplements? Thinking about going to Asda to get some Pro-Gain later on but I dont earn much and its expensive.

Not a great runner so putting extra pounds on wont really bother me if it saves me getting a beating. My mate reckons I should consider carrying a weapon around with me but I'm scared that he'll get hold of it and use it against me. He did suggest a water gun full of piss though to use as a deterrent.

My mate reckons I should consider carrying a weapon around with me but I'm scared that he'll get hold of it and use it against me.
    Dude, no weapons, what you wrote above is one scenario, the other is that you spend several years at Her Majesty's pleasure slopping out every morning.

as I said before, "If reason doesn't work, then avoidance is the only tactic,".

Keep on keeping on.

Eat more pies, they have always helped me bulk up.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Wow! Lot of hostility on here! I only came on to ask a question regarding training.

I didn't know this girl had a boyfriend - she came into my work for a haircut and we got chatting and got on really well. I then saw her on a night out and we got chatting again and she ended up coming back to my mum's. Nothing happened because she told me she had a boyfriend and I went mad at her and told her to get lost but then she went and told her boyfriend that I wouldn't leave her alone.
    Well, your first post wasn't clear. Made it sound like you knew she had a boyfriend. Now it is clear.

just done 30 mins on my dad's chest expander and I'm going to walk around with my mum's ankle weights on all day. Does anyone have any experience of supplements? Thinking about going to Asda to get some Pro-Gain later on but I dont earn much and its expensive.
    Try the 100 Push Ups challenge (thread on here, but Google it and you'll find it). But remember to balance out any training your doing by working your whole body.

Initially you won't need any supplements, just ensure you're getting enough quality protein in your diet: lean beef; fresh oily fish; grilled chicken/turkey; eggs; etc. For an immediate post workout recovery drink, try the Rocky: a tall glass of milk with one or two raw eggs in it. Complex carbs will help to fuel your training but should be eaten earlier in the day, not late at night - certainly not in any great volume.

I'd say you only need to consider supplements when you hit a plateau (i.e. you're not getting any stronger), but even then, by varying your training you may be able to work through this too.

When you start on the supplements, you can get whey protein, or creatine cheap enough (i.e. <£15) from Holland & Barratt, GNC, etc. But do your research as to how best to use them.

I'm currently on Maxmuscle Cyclone which is fairly expensive but is a combined protein/creatine supplement. In the past this helped me get to 13st, but this was combined with 4 mixed training sessions a day.

***I repeat: there is no quick answer to this. Taking some powder isn't going to turn you into Arnie. It is down to the effort you put in to your training. The supplements are there to help you refuel effectively. But they should not be the first port of call. Look to your diet first.***

My mate reckons I should consider carrying a weapon around with me
    Er, no, no and thrice no. And for suggesting this, your mate needs a slap.

If you're truly concerned about your safety, I'd say take up some form of martial arts, or boxing training. This will also help you with your overall appearance and should provide you with access to trainers who can give you more specific training and dietary advice.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

haha I thought April fools had passed?

Thanks very much for the advice Southern Softie - very useful.

I am going to do the test for the 100 push-up challenge. Been watching Rocky III this morning and just had a can of red bull so got the adrenaline pumping through my veins - do you think its wise to do the test now or wait until I've calmed down a bit? I dont want to ruin the results because I'm on an adrenaline rush - mums lift cars off their kids and stuff when they're high on adrenaline dont they?

Don't worry about the weapon - I would never carry something dangerous. We were talking more about pissing into a water pistol and using it as a deterant (spelling?). If the guy comes up to me, I could just pull it out and threaten to squirt him with it.

Thanks so much for your help.