Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More canes

More canes

A friend and I we're doing leg one on Monday, just for fun, and we found a whole row of garden canes off Great Clava almost as far as the river. If WE could find our way around then surely someone who SHOULD be far better prepared than we were should be able to too!! G

Re: More canes

Just make sure they not marking a (kids) fell race and then remove them.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Highly unlikely to be a junior race - it's a long way in to GC, plus I don't think any current race visits GC.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

I did leg one in the evening last weekend. As I got to the top of GC i thought I noticed a curiously long straight piece of heather just off the path - but i was too lazy/tired to walk over and investigate. You've got to smile really haven't you - imagining these folks myopically looking fot the next stick when you've got the massive lump of GC right in front of them.

I know, I know - if the clag is down then visibility might be reduced to as far as the next stick etc etc - in that case you'd better just hope that some mischievous traditionalist has not re-arranged your sticks and led you back to the top of Skiddaw!

i find it mildly interesting that there is a loads of criticism of marker posts, luminous tape etc - but you never get anyone leaping in to their defence. Come on, stick up for yourselves!

I can only think of one reason to mark part of the course and that would be to carry canes etc. on your way out one way, and then collect them on the way back on a recce when you're getting used to running the route the opposite way round. That way you would be certain to follow the correct route and could get used to looking for other signs to indicate you're on the right path without worrying about straying.

I don't think it's very sporting to mark the route and leave the markers in place however, it goes against the whole point of the BG imho. If I ever decide to go ahead and do a round, I won't be relying on markers but will put my faith in recceing every section as much as necessary to make sure I actually know the way instead of cheating. What's the point of a challenge if you cheat, you're only cheating yourself. If the distance is the challenge then go run on the roads instead where navigation isn't as much of an issue.

i see your point about the marking and totally agree its out of order but its also not very different from using navigators either. i do think if i ever do this tremendous challenge i want to navigate it all myself.
    dont know where im going, dont know where ive been, all im doing is running, running to have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by mangledankle View Post
    A friend and I we're doing leg one on Monday, just for fun, and we found a whole row of garden canes off Great Clava almost as far as the river. If WE could find our way around then surely someone who SHOULD be far better prepared than we were should be able to too!! G
    Perhaps they were planting runner beans :thumbup:

I noticed a couple of canes out on my recce last Saturday. I think I only saw 2 of them just before the summit. I was going to move them, but didn't know wether there was any kind of event going on.
    Dave woz ere

Quote Originally Posted by Nee Bother View Post
    Perhaps they were planting runner beans :thumbup:
    Great idea, Ken! No need to carry food. A self sufficient round. I'm doing leg 4 on Sunday - I might plant some apple trees. Any requests?

I thought about removing them but didn't really want to run(shuffle) with a hand full of canes or litter the fells by leaving them laying around. G