Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Great lakes run

Lakes Runner - Great Lakes Run

Morning all,

I've not been around for a while, or up in the hills much for that matter.

We're coming up to the Lakes 20/22nd June though - anyone doing the Great Lakes Run? - how popular is it likely to be?

I know the area reasonably well but a bit of 'follow me leader' might be useful on the day - there's some fairly wild ground to be covered between checkpoints

MH

Re: Lakes Runner - Great Lakes

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Hare View Post
    Morning all,

I've not been around for a while, or up in the hills much for that matter.

We're coming up to the Lakes 20/22nd June though - anyone doing the Great Lakes Run? - how popular is it likely to be?

I know the area reasonably well but a bit of 'follow me leader' might be useful on the day - there's some fairly wild ground to be covered between checkpoints

MH
    This is an NFR champ race so there should be a few purple and green vests. See you there.

Looks like it might just be the 2 of us judging by the response

Any thoughts on the best route between Slight Side and Pike O' Blisco - nothing very obvious that's for sure...

MH

I reckon entries will be down as the majority of people will be doing or helping with Bob Grahams that day!

I guess so.

Our contender had the decency to put his attempt off until a less congested weekend

Fellhound

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Hare View Post
    Any thoughts on the best route between Slight Side and Pike O' Blisco - nothing very obvious that's for sure...
    MH
    A few minutes with the map reveals that there is not so much route choice as you think... The best route is obvious (to me anyway). Mind you, it could be misty...

I'd relish this race as a challenge but I've set my stall out to do ONLY short races this summer. I hope it survives until next year!

Trundler,

Having thought about it I think you might have a point r.e. Slight Side to Blisco. Once you look at the map, the paths seem to click into place, giving a good route that should be 'fairly' easy to follow...

Cannay wait!
    Why walk when you can run.

I went round this last week and it was bloody hard work! Theres hardly any 'good running' and it will definately be the roughest long race in the lakes. A brilliant course - Perfect if thats your cup of tea! I reckon only real superstars will get much under 3 hours. Coming off slight side seemed suicidal the way I went, there must be a better way? And I would think there is a choice of going left or right climbing up towards crinkles on the way back. I cant wait!

Fellhound

When you arrive at the crossing of Lingcove Beck there is only one choice really for the crossing of the Crinkle Crags ridge (if you want to minimise unneccessary climbing). Have a good look at the contours, you'll see what I mean...

won't be doing this now but reccied back when there was snow on the ground. shame they've made you go down to bottom of foxes tarn gully. obviously realised people like me took the traversing path which can get you in to sticky (or should I say slippy) ground if you go the wrong way.

I found a good route off slight sight, going back down the last bit of the ascent from scafell then slant left going down. If you hit the top of a grassy butress it is steep but not bad. If you get it wrong - go back, its a cliff! its definitiely quicker this way but you've got to get it right.

Trundler - I did do the extra contours up the first gill. I reckon its no slower as its more direct and decent ground.

as dux says, def. one for those who like rocks and broken ground. i'd expect times to be near duddon.