Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wray Caton

wray caton moor race

well, a village fair (this bank holiday monday) with duck herding looks hard to resist [ http://www.wrayvillage.co.uk/wrayfair2007.htm ], but anyone with with any clues to the race?

is it as simple as the name suggests and goes from wray to caton and back?

cheers

Re: wray caton moor race

Pretty simple, and a grand day out: scarecrows, samba band, junior races and all, oh and the fantastic vegetarian (yes really) black pudding stall.

Quote Originally Posted by Margarine View Post
    fantastic vegetarian (yes really) black pudding stall.
    How does that work then? Surely the defining characteristic of black pudding is that its made with blood.

Graeme

It's made with a caramelising agent rather than blood, I remember the wife asking the bloke at the black pudding stall at the local farmers market.

It's a shame I can't tell you more, but I wasn't that interested.

david

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    It's made with a caramelising agent rather than blood, I remember the wife asking the bloke at the black pudding stall at the local farmers market.

It's a shame I can't tell you more, but I wasn't that interested.
    You can buy it online here.

Quote Originally Posted by iveletmyselfdown View Post
    well, a village fair (this bank holiday monday) with duck herding looks hard to resist [ http://www.wrayvillage.co.uk/wrayfair2007.htm ], but anyone with with any clues to the race?

is it as simple as the name suggests and goes from wray to caton and back?

cheers

up t top o' t'moor and back again (or it was in about 1994). Quite good if I remember rightly - runnable for the most part and ace views over morecambe bay.

There should be scarecrows too.
    Leeds City AC: "Pure Sporting Delight"

Hey up: I think that scarecrow was me...

Cheeky bugger .
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Quote Originally Posted by Track Fairy View Post
    up t top o' t'moor and back again (or it was in about 1994). Quite good if I remember rightly - runnable for the most part and ace views over morecambe bay.

There should be scarecrows too.
    There has been one or two alterations since those days TF. About 6 years ago because of landowner problems the race couldnt go to the top so had to do a loop on the moor instead. Not sure about the route now. I drove through the village on the way to the Three Peaks on Sunday and i didnt think there were as many scarecrows as usual.

See you all there on Monday. Its usually pretty busy so allow plenty of time to get parked.

Last year the route went out of the village past the school, steeply up the road and turned across the fields and up a farm track until it crossed the Roeburndale road then straight up the Fell with a wall on the right. Through a gate which is marshalled as this is the same as the descent route, carry on (forever) to the trig point (?) and return following a flagged route away to the left of the ascent route. At the road crossing it rejoins the ascent route until you are just above the village when it dives steeply through some woods. Cross the river on a bridge (slippery) and left down the road for 50 yds before turning right over a stile across a field and into the village, turn right into what seems like someones house then onto a new estate with about 100yds to the finish.

Quite a fast race as the up is mostly runnable and the descent a nice angle.

Plenty going on at the fair for the family while you are away.

Weather looking a bit mixed for Monday though

well my mother in law told me about the scarecrows and fair so was planning to go and see them today. Suddenly stumbled across the fell race....

well....it would be rude not to....hmmmmmmmm

May well be there if I can drag someone else up to loook after kids!