Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wray Caton

Re: wray caton moor race

Quote Originally Posted by moo View Post
    well....it would be rude not to....hmmmmmmmm
    Looked like you had enjoyed it as you crossed the line Moo

The rain held off and there was quite a good turn out.

What a fantastic day out for all the family If you've got kids, take em next year. Wray fair and the scarecrows are brilliant.

Good race . Runnable (so knackering!) and end went on for ever. Just missed out on a prize:

Less ale and knowing I was going to do it prior to the day might have helped!

I'm stuffed with black pudding veggy and errr... not veggy. Bloody hard that race.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

No pun intended .
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Wray Caton

Anyone do this today? Thought it was a fabulous runnable fell race.
    http://helsbyrunningclub.wordpress.com/

i'll risk it for a biscuit

:w00t:

Re: Wray Caton

Harry, I was up at the turn - in a grey cag. Not really needed, but I had managed to work up a sweat whilst jogging up and did not want to chill off. it was a beautiful still day and pleasantly warm for standing around. Yes it is a very runnable course - first did it about 20 years ago. A few years ago, a mate of mine had a good run at Coniston on the Saturday, then raced at Wray on the Monday. He reckoned that Wray was the harder, as there is nowhere that you can drop to a walk and keep a clear conscience - very runnable as you say.

Quote Originally Posted by harrymoon View Post
    Anyone do this today? Thought it was a fabulous runnable fell race.
    I was there but just looking at the scare crows this year. I spotted a few Helsby vests jogging towards the start Harry so i guess you could have been one of them.

Because of the traffic congestion a few runners seemed to be abandoning their cars and jogging into the village to make sure they got to the start on time

Yes, I was there too.Wray fair is a good day out and the family enjoy it so it is another race that I get to run!I agree with WD (Thanks for the shout!) it is tough because it is all runnable and then you turn at the top and have a fast run down, I just wish I had a bit more left so that I didn't look so haggard when I was running through the village at the end!

Quote Originally Posted by Bog Trotter View Post
    I just wish I had a bit more left so that I didn't look so haggard when I was running through the village at the end!
    Dont you go round the outside of the village now. When i first did it you came down the road past the school onto the main street, then you had to barge your way through the crowds before turning up a narrow ginnel onto the show field.

What is the route now? It used to straight to the top of the moor and back but i know because of problems with landowners there have been some variations since then

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Head View Post
    Dont you go round the outside of the village now. When i first did it you came down the road past the school onto the main street, then you had to barge your way through the crowds before turning up a narrow ginnel onto the show field.

What is the route now? It used to straight to the top of the moor and back but i know because of problems with landowners there have been some variations since then
    Pretty much straight to the top of the moor, over fields at first and then cross the road, once at the trig the route returns by almost the same path to the first fence where you are taken off right in a loop before returning to the original road crossing and back across the fields, at the end of the fields you nip VERY steeply through a wood which comes out on a footbridge behind the school, over the footbridge, turn left and almost straight away right over a stile into a field which brings you out by the new tea rooms, over the road bridge and then right through a narrow ginnel which feels like someones garden! before passing the new houses and onto the show field.
    (I'm out of breath typing it!)