Page 112 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1124

Thread: Snowdon Race

Thread bump with a quick question....

How much worse is the traffic in Llanberis on race-day compared to a 'normal' Saturday in summer?

It usually takes me 2 1/2 hours to drive over. I'm planning to allow an extra half hour for a bit of extra traffic.

Thanks

Banned
    Its the parking that takes time. Allow yourself time to register too.

Have a good un and savoir your day.

Run well

For a third and final time, a Brief Request for Help at the Snowdon Race this weekend.

My son, Chris Richards, a former FRA junior Champion & now studying sports science at Bangor University, is doing some research for his Uni on the psychological benefits/effects of fell running, principally in terms of emotional management.

To collect the data he needs he’s been visiting a number of fell races this summer, starting at Ennerdale, Buttermere and Snowdon on Saturday.

He is looking for runners willing to volunteer to fill out THREE short questionnaires-

- pre-race,
    - post-race (before you go home) and
    - an online questionnaire 2 days later.
    Each questionnaire will take approx 5-10 minutes.

He would really appreciate your help, the more data he can collect the better (if you have already completed one could you NOT complete another one please, it may skew the data, thanks)

Stephen said he would set him up at –

- Registration for pre race,

- Then a table on the field for post race,

-with his questionnaires & some refreshments, if you see us please pop over.

All information is confidential and all questionnaires destroyed after the data has been coded & input. He will be sharing the results when completed.

He is providing free snacks & refreshment to encourage taking part in the study, plus on completion of all 3 questionnaires your name will be entered into a draw to win a £50 Pete Bland voucher (90 so far after Ennerdale & Buttermere).

Many thanks in advance for your time & good luck with your race.
    Cheers
    Duncan
    "You have brains in your head, your feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself in any direction you choose". Dr Seuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Its the parking that takes time. Allow yourself time to register too.

Have a good un and savoir your day.

Run well
    Thanks Stagger. Got there just after 9 and parked no problem. Not many spaces when I'd got back from registration though!

Very busy at the top. Possibly dangerously so. Saw at least 2 fallers, both requiring attention.

Snowdon Twilight (Uphill only) this Friday evening..... really looking forward to this...

Anyone else on it? Have seen at least one familiar forum name on the start list...

Setting an ambitious target of 50 minutes to aim for.... on my ill-fated UTS100 last year I managed the climb in 1hr05, and that was in shocking weather, a fairly heavy backpack, and theoretically the first 5 miles of a 100mile race (albeit we only went to the finger stone, but the Twilight race negates that by starting right up at the Victoria Hotel).

SURELY at full race pace on a 5 mile effort I can take off close to 15mins and get at least near to 50mins? But when I look at previous results and some of the runners who have not managed to get under 50, perhaps I’m over-estimating my chances...

Looks like it could be a hot one!

as you know, I'm in.

A lot depends on conditions. Last time I ran the Twilight it was 40MPH winds and rain at the top and we all nearly got hypothermia. Only the top 7 went sub 50 on that night. Top 15 last year. I'm looking at a more modest sub-hour!
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Feeling smug . . . I got to the summit in under 50 minutes on both of my outings in the Snowdon Race (the up-and-down version).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    as you know, I'm in.

A lot depends on conditions. Last time I ran the Twilight it was 40MPH winds and rain at the top and we all nearly got hypothermia. Only the top 7 went sub 50 on that night. Top 15 last year. I'm looking at a more modest sub-hour!
    If MWIS is anything to go by, I don’t think hypothermia will be an issue tonight! More likely hyper-thermia....

Blimey that was hard last night!

As I travelled across North Wales yesterday, watching the temperature and strength of the sun increase, I knew it was going to be a bit of a trial. I heard reports of around 28deg near to the start.

Went off at a fair pace, trying to keep with those who I thought i could challenge on an uphill race... perhaps I should have started a little more conservatively given the conditions, and I helplessly watched several “rivals” pull away once we had cleared the steep road section.

Picked up quite a few places on the steep section in the 2nd half (Allt Moses?) and on the run in to the finish I was into my rhythm.

Having set a very ambitious target of 50mins it was obviously a disappointment to take 59, but those I was looking to challenge were also well over 50mins... even the likes of Emma Clayton were clocking around 52mins... 50mins is still there to be aimed at, now that I “know the course” and can plan my efforts a bit better. With more favourable conditions, and a lot of hard work, I’ll be looking for a significant improvement next year.

Hello to DaveMole, good to see you as always...
    Last edited by Travs; 29-06-2019 at 07:55 AM.

It was hot, wasn't it? Didn't get my sub-hour, which means I'll probably have to go back next year....