Page 71 of 113 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: Snowdon Race

Re: Snowdon 2009

It is however, good to see that MR are putting the organisation of the event in a positive light. A death in a race is not a good thing for the sport, but it seems that medical backup at the event was well organised.

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Harrier View Post
    Fractured right shoulder blade and broken left elbow - first broken bones for 50 years. was all set for a massive downhill run and I'd got past at least 20 bby the time I reached the Pyg track where I lost my footing and shoulder charged a big rock. Done Snowdon 5 times but Ill not bother with this race again - my style of dscending I suppose which needs 100% concentration on the terrain- there were far too many ramblers and amblers on the mountain for me. Thanks to fireman Tom of the Mountain rescue who brought me down on th train - star man
    Wish you a speedy recovery Martin. Agree with you over the number of walkers and ramblers out yesterday just taking pics was difficult.

Very sad indeed about the fatality in the race.

its really sad, the bloke that died was only a few years older than me and not that far behind me on way up, my sympathy goes out to his family. i ran race and stayed in llanberis (?) on sat night, enjoyed race, didnt know about bloke dying till later on, altho i saw on way down marshells hurrying around a tent and thgt id heard another helicopter around. someone at b&b we were staying said 'well at least it he was doing something he loved as opposed sitting in front of tv watching rubbish'. im not sure if her remarks quite convey the sadness of whats happend, but i imagine theres a side of us all that can imagine the love of the hills.

It's a tricky course, I also broke my jaw and damaged my shoulder on the descent a couple of years ago.
    Last edited by garymcmahon; 19-07-2009 at 10:11 PM. Reason: clarity

Talking Re: Snowdon 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Harrier View Post
    Fractured right shoulder blade and broken left elbow - first broken bones for 50 years. was all set for a massive downhill run and I'd got past at least 20 bby the time I reached the Pyg track where I lost my footing and shoulder charged a big rock. Done Snowdon 5 times but Ill not bother with this race again - my style of dscending I suppose which needs 100% concentration on the terrain- there were far too many ramblers and amblers on the mountain for me. Thanks to fireman Tom of the Mountain rescue who brought me down on th train - star man
    Get well soon mate .....shhh don't tell any1 there was a better fell race on down the road (no ramblers getting in the way or road runners)and lots of mud and water.

I watched most of the S4C programme last night with english subtitles. Ian holmes on the descent was amazing.

does anyone know where half way is suppose to be, is it the main buiding on right as your going up where the table was laid out with drinks, not sure if this is half way for the train mas well?

I believe half way is a bit beyond the "Halfway House", but I'm sure someone will correct me.

Firstly - thoughts go out to the friend and family of the chap who died. It's probably no comfort to them but I think it's definitely better that it was due to a heart complaint rather than a fall.

This was my second Snowdon International. Enjoyed it nearly as much as the first although a little disappointed that a fall on the approach to Clogwyn (on the descent) cost me some time. Enjoying showing off the war wounds now though ;-)

I stayed over in Llanberis (for the first time) with my wife and daughter on Saturday night. I'd been warned about what the town can be like later in the evening but wasn't expecting it mid afternoon! Such a shame.

According to my Garmin, the halfway house was at pretty much exactly half the height of the summit (so 1780ft or so) but of course the start is at about 350ft so at that point you've climed about 1430ft but still have 1780ft to go. Not sure how accurate the figures are but it gave an altitude of 3568ft at the summit so pretty d@rn close.

Thanks for the link to the S4C programme. I asked a chap at work to record it last Monday but he's been off sick since so I don't know if he remembered or not!

I think the race is repeated again on S4C on friday at 6pm.
    Run like hell and get the agony over with - Clarence DeMar