Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Full Body Windproof Protection

Full Body Windproof Protection

Would a windproof emergency bivvy bag or emergency blanket meet this requirement? Is that what is intended that you carry or are the rules looking for actual clothing to be carried?

Ta

Re: Full Body Windproof Protec

Actual clothing I'm afraid. The idea is that you can get yourself off the hill even if your moving very slowly (and hence getting cold), some races insist on bivvy bags as well.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Just get yourself a cheap set of mac-in-a-pac waterproofs and you'll be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    Just get yourself a cheap set of mac-in-a-pac waterproofs and you'll be alright.
    Yep. A sensible, economic option. You'll be alright, albeit a tad sweaty!!
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

thanks. saves me making a show of myself and turning up with the wrong gear

Dont forget hat and gloves, also you mac wants a hood
    Stephen Batley Skyrac AC,
    Specific,Measurable,Attainable,Relevant and Time-Bound

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    Tesco have a cheap set, taped seams and hood. Don't fancy running far in it (a bit boil in the bag) but has a hood and it will keep you dry if you have to hobble off the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Compass View Post
    Dont forget hat and gloves, also you mac wants a hood
    Agreed. The minimum core standard is for whole body cover. The FRA view is that this means an outer layer for the torso with an attached hood (an attached hood, unlike even the best hat, balaclava etc, will not blow away, get lost or left behind) but that a hat and gloves should also be carried. For the legs, the outer layer should reach the ankles; just below the knee layers are not adequate.

FRA requirements draw a distinction between windproof whole body cover and waterproof whole body cover, which may be specified if the organiser sees fit. The requirement is drafted this way to give organisers a degree of flexibility, particularly with longer races which may take place in settled, fine weather.

The FRA is not going to define "waterproof" or specify "taped seams" or recommend any brand. The FRA defines minimum standards for registration and insurance purposes and allows the race organiser, whose event it is, to supplement in any way he or she sees fit those minimum standards. So if that includes, say, a mobile phone then that is what competitors must carry
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I think getting away with the bare minimum in races can be okay, given all the other runners, the marshalls, the fact that race routes tend to stick a bit lower in the winter months or can be adapted or shortened to suit the conditions but if you're running on your own I think you need to be a little more circumspect. I ran a 22 miler on Saturday and, crossing Fountains Fell into the face of a hailstorm blown by a 'chuffing heck' of a wind (the waterfalls were being blown up hill) and then attempting to get up south face of Pen y Ghent (but taking the sensible option of bottling it), I was really glad I had 'stuff' in my bag. I had a spare pair of gloves and waterproof bottoms, although didn't actually need either in the event, but I was wearing a windproof, skins, sealskin gloves, a buff and herdy gerdy woolen hat and after Fountains Fell I had to put my waterproof top over the windproof. Remember "theres no such thing as bad weather (riiiight ) just inappropriate clothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Agreed. The minimum core standard is for whole body cover. The FRA view is that this means an outer layer for the torso with an attached hood (an attached hood, unlike even the best hat, balaclava etc, will not blow away, get lost or left behind) but that a hat and gloves should also be carried. For the legs, the outer layer should reach the ankles; just below the knee layers are not adequate.

FRA requirements draw a distinction between windproof whole body cover and waterproof whole body cover, which may be specified if the organiser sees fit. The requirement is drafted this way to give organisers a degree of flexibility, particularly with longer races which may take place in settled, fine weather.

The FRA is not going to define "waterproof" or specify "taped seams" or recommend any brand. The FRA defines minimum standards for registration and insurance purposes and allows the race organiser, whose event it is, to supplement in any way he or she sees fit those minimum standards. So if that includes, say, a mobile phone then that is what competitors must carry
    HI Graham - it's only me. Tempted, but I'll behave