Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to change shoes?

When to change shoes?

I have always run my fell shoes until they start falling apart (I wear Innov-8), i.e when they develop tears,splitsin the midsole or hole. This can take a long time for me as I'm pretty light.
    I recently heard a podcast where it was suggested that the shoes go in the bin at 400-500 miles even if they look fine as the cushioning is shot and your more likely to get injuries etc.

Whats the general feeling, do you chuck your shoes away regularly, or wait until 'they've had it'?
    Should add that although this may be less of an issue with fell shoes than road shoes, I like a but of cushioning due to my ITB.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance

Re: When to change shoes?

depends which shoe you've got but fell shoes don't have cushioning so run in them until they fall apart or the sloes lose all their grip. However if you'e had a pair of innovate fell shoes last 500m miles you've done well........

to add the mileage thing is more to do with road shoes, but my road shoes have done double that

Hi Ian,

I use roclite 320's which have a fair bit of cushioning in so it prob is an issue. I find it helps reduce ITB flairups. Maybe I'm luck and light but my last 2 pairs must of done the best part of a 1000, and even then its only the upper sole beginning to tear. I just wonder if as the cushioning is important to me I should be changing them more regularly then once a year

Theoretically- with road shoes its good to have 3 pairs in various states of wear. one at the end of its life, one middling and one brand new. The reasoning being that if you go from a dead old shoe with no cusioning left, chances are youve worn it down to the level where you are affecting the "gait" of the shoe, as opposed to the shoe affecting your gait (if you see what I mean), from there, you jump into entirely new shoes, which changes your gait back to the "efficient" gait that shoe companies say you should have, and your muscles have to re-get used to a new way of running.

If you have 3 pairs, then (again theoretically) your feet and gait dont have to go through such a big change as you go from shoe to shoe. I say this, but I only have one pair of road shoes...

as an aside, ITB flare-ups often come from Hip rotators being underdeveloped- it could be the added issue of cushioning of the sole wearing out that aggravates the ITB, which is already struggling to compensate for the weaknesses in the glutes/piriformis area.

I'm from Yorkshire so I wait till they fall apart, glue them, run in them some more and then wear them for going to the pub untill the missus finally snaps and chucks em.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by zephr View Post
    Theoretically- with road shoes its good to have 3 pairs in various states of wear. one at the end of its life, one middling and one brand new. The reasoning being that if you go from a dead old shoe with no cusioning left, chances are youve worn it down to the level where you are affecting the "gait" of the shoe, as opposed to the shoe affecting your gait (if you see what I mean), from there, you jump into entirely new shoes, which changes your gait back to the "efficient" gait that shoe companies say you should have, and your muscles have to re-get used to a new way of running.

If you have 3 pairs, then (again theoretically) your feet and gait dont have to go through such a big change as you go from shoe to shoe. I say this, but I only have one pair of road shoes...
    yes I've heard this before and it makes sense. I have one pair of Road running shoe + 1 pair of v lightweight marathon race shoes and occasionally run in some NB LW trail shoes esp if I have to cross the odd field or take in a track.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    I'm from Yorkshire so I wait till they fall apart, glue them, run in them some more and then wear them for going to the pub untill the missus finally snaps and chucks em.
    Good plan!

walshes sole's are shot uppers not so bad wondering what the re soles are like is it worth it? (prod only done 100 mile)
    soles lasted no time at all, can anyone give advise on x talon 190's as they also look slim fitting wanting shoes for racing only.
    wish inov8 did a narrow fitting mudclaw tried 272 on in pb's, tad big in toe box but soles look as thow they would out last the uppers!
    may be walshes should super size there studs.
    or may be i should stop ruuning in fell races with roads in em!
    £60 for 100 or so miles seems poor value for money?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodzy View Post
    walshes sole's are shot uppers not so bad wondering what the re soles are like is it worth it? ....
    £60 for 100 or so miles seems poor value for money?
    I just got another set of Walshes from go outdoors for £39, that's a bargain in my book. They also sell x talons for £64 as well.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter