Thread: Chronic calf pain!

Bailiff Bridge, Brighouse, West Yorkshire

Chronic calf pain!

Hi,

I've had a recurring calf problem for the past three or four years now and I just dont know what to do to shift it....please help?

It starts by feeling a little bit tight but can end up with me unable to jog or even walk without hobbling as my calfs are so tight. Sometimes I can run three or four times a week and have no problems, even managing a few races here and there and then out of nowhere it'll just start hurting again. I've tried physio, lots of stretching, strengthening my ankle and anything else I can think of...I used to play football and have had severe ankle injuries but they are ok now.

I've read about compartment syndrome and wondered if that might be something to do with it?

Any advice, miracle cures or helpful hints would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    @IGlendinning

Great Uncle Bulgaria

Re: Chronic calf pain!

Miracle cure - yes I found one. Even PM'd Mr Brightside about it a few weeks back. I had a very similar experience and it completely stopped any kind of running. Considered compartment syndrome but that is quite specific and quickly discounted. Huge amounts of physio, new orthotics (how expensive are they!!) etc all to no avail. Eventually found the absolutely right therapist - one treatment and back running happily over hill and dale and onroad too.

She examined my working footwear compared to my footfall and made me add cushioning not orthotics, so a flattish shoe. Then did electro acupuncture which was VERY uncomfortable followed by a little massage. Total 2 hrs of pain and 30 mins of advice plus a cup of tea to recover and --- miracle. 2 days later after bruising went I was back running.

Electro-acupuncture eh?!...Well its gotta be better than not being able to train consistently so I'll try give it a go! Cheers for the advice, I'll let you know how it goes!
    @IGlendinning

Great Uncle Bulgaria

Best of luck.
    It was quite unpleasant so my top tip would be not to expect to drive or cycle home after the treatment.

First session was yesterday and it certainly was uncomfortable! Will be trying a run again soon so we'll see! Lots more details on my blog (shameless self publicity I know)!
    @IGlendinning

Great Uncle Bulgaria

We need one of the lady forumites to try this form of treatment just to show that we are not being weak and exagerating the discomfort. Hope it works for you.