Thread: Foot pain - help!

Foot pain - help!

On my run on Friday I had a little bit of a twinge in my right ankle and the inside of that foot after I landed awkwardly on some cobbles. I took it easy over the weekend and had a bit of a walk this morning with no problems. About a mile into a run this afternoon the pain in my foot came back pretty suddenly. I gave up trying to run and just walked home with my foot hurting a lot.
    The side of my foots acheing a bit now just sat around the living room.
    Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could have done? Any solutions?

Kanga

Re: Foot pain - help!

Not that much info there Kanga, could be some sort of ankle sprain or tendon damage. The posterior-tibial tendon runs across the inside of the ankle and inserts into the navicular just above the arch of the foot so might be related to that. Without somebody qualified having a closer look you won't be able to find out that much via the net I'm afraid. Feet and ankles can be very complicated as there's quite a lot going on down there. I would use the usual R.I.C.E. methods and give it a few days, if it's still hurting then I suggest getting yourself down to your GP (or a private physio) for a proper examination.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    On my run on Friday I had a little bit of a twinge in my right ankle and the inside of that foot after I landed awkwardly on some cobbles. I took it easy over the weekend and had a bit of a walk this morning with no problems. About a mile into a run this afternoon the pain in my foot came back pretty suddenly. I gave up trying to run and just walked home with my foot hurting a lot.
    The side of my foots acheing a bit now just sat around the living room.
    Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could have done? Any solutions?

Kanga
    Need to know the exact site of the pain, which movements in particular are painful, any swelling/bruising/deformity, any past history of ankle problems, on this side or the other.

Thanks for the replies. I'll just take it easy for a few days and hope it gets better. At least I've got an excuse for spending all day with my feet up now
    Mike: No history of ankle problems. There's absolutely nothing visible. If I bend my toes back towards my leg I can feel it stretch in the bit along the bottom of my foot running from big toe. When I walk the bit that hurts is the bit where the foot joins the leg, not really sure how to describe it.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'll just take it easy for a few days and hope it gets better. At least I've got an excuse for spending all day with my feet up now
    Mike: No history of ankle problems. There's absolutely nothing visible. If I bend my toes back towards my leg I can feel it stretch in the bit along the bottom of my foot running from big toe. When I walk the bit that hurts is the bit where the foot joins the leg, not really sure how to describe it.
    Could be flexor hallucis longus tendonitis:http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/8033...ain-treatm.htm

I would see a physio if it doesn't settle quickly.