Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trail/fell shoe advice

Re: Trail/fell shoe advice

Quote Originally Posted by cotswoldrunner View Post
    any advice on sizing of these shoes? I'm bang on an 8 normally. Take 8 in Mudrocs and 8.5 in Salomons. Ta!
    I'm UK8.5 in Nike road shoes, but a UK9 is spot on in the Kanadia

Sorry for jumping onto the thread but does anyone have any advice for shoes that have even *some* grip on wet rock - i.e. the paths laid down by the National Trust (that seem to be ideal for walkers but are nigh on impossible to run on). I have no confidence in my mudrocs and went over twice today coming down early from Leg 2 off Helvellyn. Cheers

Roclite 295s? They're supposed to be quite sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by anyoldiron View Post
    Sorry for jumping onto the thread but does anyone have any advice for shoes that have even *some* grip on wet rock - i.e. the paths laid down by the National Trust (that seem to be ideal for walkers but are nigh on impossible to run on). I have no confidence in my mudrocs and went over twice today coming down early from Leg 2 off Helvellyn. Cheers
    f-lite 230; brilliant on wet slab, used them on pennine bridleway leg 3 in the snow and ice last year and they were faultless.

Of course, they're crap on mud but you can't have everything!

I am sold on the new New Balance trail minimus (bought them on a trip to the US in early spring). I had run in f-lite 230s and roclite 285s the past couple of years, but have totally gone over to the minimus. In muddy conditions they probably wouldn't do, but for forest trails, hard-packed trails, hills, bogs they have been excellent - even for stretches of asphalt. Ran a 50 km trail race in them two weeks ago - excellent (choice of socks that day was not). But you have to have a running style that is appropriate for the lack of cushioning and lack of support. From the f-lite 230 to the minimus it didn't require any real transition.

Nice one, I'll have a look at them. Cheers for the advice.

Plodding Bear suggests Mizuno Wave Harrier-I'd also say they are a good bet. They are now the only shoe I run in- for mountain marathons, general fell, footpaths and tracks (and, yes, road if I have to). I'm based to the north of Bristol so run along bits of the Cotswold escarpment too and find them ideal on this and a the footpaths in the area. Have noticed more of my clubmates wearing them too.
    First run then beer. If no run then proceed directly to beer.

Thanks for that. Will get a pair once I've sold the Roclites (now on ebay!!!)

I've worn my wave harriers on the Haworth Hobble (33 miles of varied terrain) and the Yorkshire 3 peaks, no problems. I also noticed a couple of pairs at the Fellsman. I rate them enough to consider another pair of Mizunos for harder packed trails, maybe the wave Ascend or something. Or, I will probably save the money and stick with me Harriers. Super comfy, nice and grippy, what more could you want?!