Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Doping row continues

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    The need to win at all costs, plus the age old perception that everyone is at it so they want to level the playing field, the doping issue will never ever go away, especially in Cycling, unfortunately it has always been the way, it's only the advent of the internet, where an athlete can't fart without it being reported that has changed things, perhaps it's time for some of the quiet 'old guard' in the sport to hold their hands up and say 'look this is what we were up to' certainly some of the Cycling stars from the 80s/ early 90s must have been hitting the medicine cabinet hard all be it on a less industrial scale, I can imagine some uncomfortable silences and shuffling of papers in the commentary boxes when the latest doping row explodes, late 70s early 80s the only cycling news I ever saw was weekly from the comic (all black and white photos) or once a year when Dickie Davis introduced the annual half hour slot on the Paris Roubaix
    This may be sophistry but I differentiate between sprinters taking drugs to win and cyclist taking drugs to survive, say, a Grand Tour.

When the Tour started it was inhumanly hard and the RO said that ideally only one rider would survive the race (!) and whilst that might have been media talk it does encapsulate that the Tour was primarily about survival - and so naturally riders have taken whatever it took ever since.

No sensible rider is going to come out now and admit the misdoings of the past (unless they have a book to sell) because of the (hypocritical ) public reaction. IIRC Riis did and was then vilified because omerta applies not just to the riders but to all those in the media who depend on riders to pay their wages.

The official TdF DVD of the 1999 Tour when Armstrong won the prologue by a very wide margin was described by the live commentators (Sherwen & Ligget) as "astonishing" and "incredible" and in the post race interview their colleague says to Armstrong that the margin of victory was "so surprising" . In fact Armstrong looks a bit nonplussed as though his winning margin is a bit too good to be true and he knows it. Well well well.

But what happened next is that the commentators, instead of querying why Armstrong had changed from an average rider who then had cancer to turn into a Tour winner, bought into the "miracle". Did they really believe in "miracles" or did they collude to retain their good life?

Few media people come out of the EPO era with credit but the one who does is David Walsh. David has sold a few books about his campaign since but I do wonder if there are also guilty consciences amongst those in the media who decided to believe in "miracles" - despite the well document history of "extra help" in pro. cycling.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 23-12-2017 at 05:08 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Super Moderator
    I believe in miracles

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I believe in miracles
    Well in that case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIN36NweL6I
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Super Moderator
    Anyone without asmtha tried one of those inhaler things?

Just watched the British Cycling documentary on BBC2. Sutton admits TUEs were used to get the last 5% out of Sky Tour riders. That's the final nail in the 'clean Sky' coffin for me.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Just watched the British Cycling documentary on BBC2. Sutton admits TUEs were used to get the last 5% out of Sky Tour riders. That's the final nail in the 'clean Sky' coffin for me.
    Its pretty clear the they ‘stuck to the rules’ but used the TUEs for them there marginal gains

Banned
    Aye Mr B I thought the same.
    British cycling and Sky are not 100% clean.
    They have bent the rules and gone way beyond the grey area.
    Then they all read from the Armstrong book of lies.
    We know where that ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Aye Mr B I thought the same.
    British cycling and Sky are not 100% clean.
    They have bent the rules and gone way beyond the grey area.
    Then they all read from the Armstrong book of lies.
    We know where that ended.
    it is a shame, I remember watching a moustachioed and mulleted Sutton as a racer in the 80’s in the city centre events and it was clear then he was abrasive, unfortunately his attitude doesn’t fit in today’s world as he’s clearly a genius as a coach, it’s also clear that some would thrive under his direction and others wouldn’t. I would imagine he’s a great guy to ride with but it would be a hard old day ��
    I do think that what they were ‘probably’ doing is only what everyone else was also doing

Super Moderator
    Did anyone let on what was in the Jiffy bag? I heard it was fig rolls and Yorkshire tea bags