Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Doping row continues

OK. For the benefit of all my good forum friends, I have decided to conduct a genuine experiment!
    I have a sore knee because of pes anserine tendinopathy (google it). Its making me limp now so I have just injected it with triamcinolone.
    I will be doing a spin class this lunchtime. My current FTP is 250 and I'm going to see if I can smash that.
    My weight is 12 stone. I will weigh myself afterwards.
    Then we will know how effective triamcinlone is as a performance enhancer and a weight loss drug in a one off dose.
    I declare my own TUE!
    Stand by forumites!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Never mind "pes anserine tendinopathy", I had to google "spin class" and "FTP". The ignorance of the long-distance runner.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post

I own or have read dozens of (auto) biographies on Kelly, Merckx, Coppi, Armstrong, Roche, Millar, Miller, Pantani,,...last week I reread Riis (Stages of Light and Dark) who won the Tour in 1996 and then went on to be a very successful Team Owner and Directeur Sportive
    Like you Graham I’ve read all of these biographies as well, interesting that all of the above if not found guilty of doping infringements, have been implicated by association with either dodgy doctors or dodgy team practice.
    Unfortunately doping has always been and looks to be continuing to be endemic in Cycling, it was happening long before the days of trial by internet when the only Cycling news came to a small band of leg shaving weirdos (i was one of them ) from the pages of Cycling Weekly, I have said this before but it’s time for some of the holier than though old guard who were as guilty as today’s stars to hold their hands up and share their experiences, I reckon until this happens then Cycling will never move on.

regarding motes and beams causing visual impairment.

So does taking caffeine and/or beetroot gels cross an ethical line ? surely it is an attempt to gain a physiological improvement/ advantage and therefore should be outlawed? oh yes and who has't taken anti inflammatory medication to recover from a hard race or during a mountain marathon.....is this cheating?

Its only a matter of degree and what is available/acceptable to you.

I have always been very open and honest about my use of beetroot as a legal performance enhancing supplement. If it works it seems reasonable to expect that most people should use it. In the same way that I expect runners to train and wear fell shoes.

If beetroot is ever banned, I'm happy to hand back any medals and trophies as deemed by the authorities. Obtaining said medal and trophies is still a "work in progress".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    OK. For the benefit of all my good forum friends, I have decided to conduct a genuine experiment!
    I have a sore knee because of pes anserine tendinopathy (google it). Its making me limp now so I have just injected it with triamcinolone.
    I will be doing a spin class this lunchtime. My current FTP is 250 and I'm going to see if I can smash that.
    My weight is 12 stone. I will weigh myself afterwards.
    Then we will know how effective triamcinlone is as a performance enhancer and a weight loss drug in a one off dose.
    I declare my own TUE!
    Stand by forumites!
    Hope the injection went well - that is a small bursa and the MCL is not far away!

OK.
    So back from spin class.
    My FTP was a PB of 253. Is that 1% marginal gain due to shot or the fact I was putting myself under the spotlight and pushing that bit harder? I felt no different. Certainly no euphoria. Also, my FTP is slowly increasing over time as I do more spin sessions and, theoretically, get stronger. The acid test will be if I can get close to that again.
    My weight? 11st 13lb. As I normally fluctuate between 11.10 and 12.3 I'd say thats unchanged!
    My knee is still sore!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

That's the thing with drug and placebos. Next week you should give yourself placebo, and then do the same again but the other way around. And then forget which way round it was...

Blinding self-medication studies is a tricky business.

Genius Noel!
    Do I have to poke myself in the eyes??
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Genius Noel!
    Do I have to poke myself in the eyes??
    No, you just need to convince yourself that the inert substance that you inject into your knee next week is in fact triamcinolone, and make sure your mood going into the spin session is exactly the same as it was this week. It's all in the mind.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges