Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Doping row continues

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    No, you just need to convince yourself that the inert substance that you inject into your knee next week is in fact triamcinolone, and make sure your mood going into the spin session is exactly the same as it was this week. It's all in the mind.
    But Anthony, moods are so volatile - whereas EPO is always reliable.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Pleased to note that taking a dose of my own medicine works. Knee much better today!
    Also, on a 'roid rampage and have pillaged the village, chased all the ladies and beaten up the tribe bully. Now, where's me velocipede??
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Lol

LOL for sure!

Super Moderator
    VG Wheeze. So the drugs do work?

Master
    Joking aside, I have seen people go berserk on steroids, to the extent that they needed to be sedated. Sure they were usually old and ill, but not always.

Apparently one of the reasons for using triamcinolone rather than the usual steroids - prednisone for example - is that it is excreted slowly, so urine tests for it fell below what used to be the threshold at the time. In nearly 33 years as a doctor I never saw anybody given triamcinolone.

Super Moderator
    The cyclists use so much of it there’s none left for ‘civilians’ Mike

Brilliant DT!
    Mike, I inject bucket loads of Kenny Loggins as I call it. (Trade name for triamcinolone is Kenalog). Ain't never induced a Gerry-Stompin', Rice-Muncher Mashin' Ragin' Fury in anyone yet!

But you are right. One of the very rare side effects of any steroid medication is induced psychotic reaction or worsening of pre-existing mania. This is powerful medication. Its use within a TUE is a challenging one to debate. And I note some people are calling for the whole TUE thing to be removed.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Brilliant DT!
    Mike, I inject bucket loads of Kenny Loggins as I call it. (Trade name for triamcinolone is Kenalog). Ain't never induced a Gerry-Stompin', Rice-Muncher Mashin' Ragin' Fury in anyone yet!

But you are right. One of the very rare side effects of any steroid medication is induced psychotic reaction or worsening of pre-existing mania. This is powerful medication. Its use within a TUE is a challenging one to debate. And I note some people are calling for the whole TUE thing to be removed.
    Clearly I saw different patients from you, and if their GP had given them a triamcinolone injection I would almost certainly not have known about it. But all the inpatients I saw who needed steroids for asthma or any other reason were given prednisone or hydrocortisone; I never saw anybody given steroids by injection or by mouth for hay fever, though they may have sniffed it. Asthma patients who had steroid injections were admitted for regular nebuliser therapy, they were certainly not up to anything that involved exertion.
    I can see that if you are competing to be the best in the world at something, you might regard any symptoms from hay fever as unacceptable, but does that mean you should be allowed to take a drug that would usually be regarded as overkill, and that also happens to enhance performance. So the playing field is not being levelled, it is being tilted in the drug taker's favour.

Meanwhile... Paris - Nice is on Eurosport and all's right with the world, or at least for the French riders and teams.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 09-03-2018 at 06:05 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".