Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Doping row continues

Master and MR

Re: Doping row continues

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeathens View Post
    For me, doping is the reason I've never taken to cycling and I just don't get the attraction of watching a bunch of druggies on a bike? Athletic competition should be about pushing the limits of the Human body, not extending them through artificial methods

But you have taken to football. Do you honestly think the premiership is totally clean ?

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by eavesy187 View Post
    Guess no one says, but wouldn't it make sense that he's the most tested man in sport. After all he's the one the everyone has been after since his first tour win.

Dom is correct in saying that no one knows if he was the most tested rider. In the nineties being tested more often actually helped the doper.
    The test for epo at the time was a farce. The 50 percent level was simply a way of allowing riders to set there own limit. You only needed a centrifuge to test yourself. Every team doctor had one. It would be suicidal not to have.
    The teams were simply staying or trying to stay within the level set by the uci.

We should move on in cycling.
    The uci has become a complete joke. Last week we had a doping suspicion index leaked to the press.

Master

In XC skiing they noticed that competitors' haematocrits - the number of red cells in the blood - were unphysiologically high - so they set an upper limit above which they could not compete - all of a sudden the haematocrits were just below this level. In cycling they also keep an eye on the haematocrit, and according to Wiki: "The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI), for example, imposes a 15-day suspension from racing on any male athlete found to have an HCT above 50% and hemoglobin concentration above 17 grams per deciliter (g/dL)." As has been suggested, this would encourage the use of small doses of EPO, just enough to nudge the haematocrit towards, but not above 50. Why else would the teams need a centrifuge? Exercise by itself reduces the haematocrit.

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    But you have taken to football. Do you honestly think the premiership is totally clean ?
    No, but it's not endemic and it has less impact on a team game based partly on skill as well as athletic endeavour.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeathens View Post
    No, but it's not endemic and it has less impact on a team game based partly on skill as well as athletic endeavour.

I take your point its a fair one but cmon football operates under lets say different rules

Daz does make a good point. I also believe that doping has ruined cycling, a sport I used to love, but it isn't just a problem in cycling. It's just that other sports don't pursue the issue like they do in cycling. I cannot watch any athletics without doubting what I'm seeing and the money in most sports would encourage cheating.
    Doping would give an advantage in football and I'd be very suprised if it wasn't already widespread.
    When operation Puerto first broke didn't it also involve other sports?

A top Tour rider might have been doping? What do you mean "might"?

It amazes me how the most fervent supporter of the tour agrees that doping is endemic and yet somehow Lanced is excluded from this.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Anyway it's all going to come out in time. I believe the authorities in the USA have asked the french lab to release Armstrong's 1999 urine samples. The one's that had EPO in them. If the results are confirmed we may with other evidence see him spending a considerable time in prison.

After all fraud is a serious offence in the USA.

The authorities no matter what will have to prove that he doped. armstrong says he never failed a test.
    They are going to have to prove that he doped. Ie bills for products purchased, paper trails, evidence etc etc.
    If you have passed as he can prove over 500 uci tests he will have the full backing of the uci. They cant not back him, they have no reason to ?.
    Tyler hamilton and landis are convicted cheats, they count for nothing.

The hindcapie thing tells me also that there could be a leak within the federal investigation with this whole sixty monutes thing. Again that will make the investigation a laughing stock.

Whatever happens lets just hope the truth comes out and we move on. Im sick of hearing about lance armstrong.
    There are more pressing things going on in cycling like ligget and sherwins bloody comical commentating on the tour of californication.

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    I take your point its a fair one but cmon football operates under lets say different rules
    I agree. They're far far too lenient in football but Performance Enhancing Drugs isn't really an issue, it's more recreational drugs that are the problem.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    The UCI are sending mixed messages. On the one hand they are testing athletes more thoroughly than the dirtier sports like swimming and athletics; on the other hand they destroy it all by allowing a cheat like Contador to continue on and disrupt proceedings in key events.

That fellow should be serving a two year ban rather than smiling into our living rooms (not mine) with that aren't I clever look on his face.

The uci has appealed in this case, they are following the letter of the law. Its not their fault its taking time. Its now out of their hands which is the correct way to me.
    The decision is imminent. All contador can do is continue to work and earn money christopher. You cannot blame alberto or The uci. He may yet have to serve a ban.