Thread: how good is good enough

how good is good enough

just wondered how good you need to be to support a leg of a bg round. whats the sort of speed and distance you need to be able to cover so i can train and maybe help someone out.i would hate to be a hindrance rather than help. ill be in the lakes from the 19th of aug to 26th so got time to train if anyone's attempting that week.
    dont know where im going, dont know where ive been, all im doing is running, running to have fun.

Re: how good is good enough

Quote Originally Posted by fellrunnerreuben View Post
    just wondered how good you need to be to support a leg of a bg round. whats the sort of speed and distance you need to be able to cover so i can train and maybe help someone out.i would hate to be a hindrance rather than help. ill be in the lakes from the 19th of aug to 26th so got time to train if anyone's attempting that week.
    not very fast as all the climbing is walking. I always think leg 1 is hard as it's got lots of climbing. If you're worried just tag along, leg 3 probably best as you can cut corners(not the BGer obviously) and the pace as eased a bit.

Just check Bob's site and do a leg and see if you can keep up to an 23.00 hour pace

Remember that the schedules account for a slowing down over each leg - if you did all legs at the same *speed* as the first leg on a 23hr schedule you'd get round in about 18hrs!

Wasdale to Honister is an average of just 2MPH for the ten miles, though there are one or two big climbs on it, so that might be a good one to support on. The central leg is also a good one to help support as many of the tops don't need to be visited by the support runners as the contender can just nip up and down whilst you watch.

It's also worth noting that depending on which leg you support you get to see the Lakes at times you wouldn't normally be on the fells.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

well it seems i should be fast enough and the distance is ok so all i need to do is find someone who needs some support whilst im there.
    dont know where im going, dont know where ive been, all im doing is running, running to have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Remember that the schedules account for a slowing down over each leg - if you did all legs at the same *speed* as the first leg on a 23hr schedule you'd get round in about 18hrs!

Wasdale to Honister is an average of just 2MPH for the ten miles, though there are one or two big climbs on it, so that might be a good one to support on. The central leg is also a good one to help support as many of the tops don't need to be visited by the support runners as the contender can just nip up and down whilst you watch.

It's also worth noting that depending on which leg you support you get to see the Lakes at times you wouldn't normally be on the fells.
    Again, I think leg 5 clockwise is a good one as the contender is usually 'tiring' by then, (there can be lots of others helping on this leg..good for your first time out??)

Theres a big fella I know who used to be too scared to support, so lacking in confidence of his abilities was he.
    Bit of encouragement though and a couple of years later he's done the round himself.
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

I'm helping with an attempt in May, and was a bit concerned about expectations like yourself, but am supporting on leg 5 of a clockwise BGR, so expect that I'll be comfortable with the pace and would advise similar for your first 'assist'.

All the best, Phil

you need to average 3mph and cover approx 1200ft of ascent and descents

Not that I'm the font of knowledge on this subject, but I reckon leg 5 would be the perfect introduction. I did an ACW leg 4 recce as far as Kirk Fell the other day, came back to Honister and then did leg 5 with no trouble just because there were plenty of hours left in the day - and I would say I'm not ready for my own attempt just yet. Alright, it's a bit of a slog up Dale Head on tired legs but after that it's pretty straightforward.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners