Thread: from bleaklow to howden edge?

from bleaklow to howden edge?

ventured up this way yesterday starting from langset up mickledon edge/cut gate staight over down to howden res round far side then up to alport castles headed NW up to bleaklow stones hoping to find some runable path over to howden/outer edge after several false dawns stop/start running/falling /crawling headed down what i assume is source of derwent after 1 mile or so picked up a lovely little track allway back down to res proved to be a great detour.
    Still left wondering if theres a definate way across tops?

Re: from bleaklow to howden ed

There is a well trodden watershed path via Swains Head, Howden Edge, Outer Edge, high up above the Derwent.

As Yannis said just return along the HPM route. It might be better to reverse this route Dogruf retruning down Alport or even with a bit of Navving drop down south from Swains head up to Barrow stones-to Grinha Stones, (If you stay high you might even pick up the sign post for the souce of the Derwent) found between these 2 stones, then head East- then SE and call in at Ronksey cabin(don't forget to sign visitors book) dropping back down to the "lovely little track" follow this until you see a small path going up diagonally on your left to Lord howard ed Springs. Head direct to OE from there (LH grouse butts), You should pick up an aircraft wreck just after the brow of the hill as you cross an unmarked path. From OE trig head due East and you will pick up a super fast grassy descent (Heads NE for a while)which takes you most of the way down cutgate.

This is one of my long runs and its a great day out. The open moors around Langsett are closed at the moment though and you should stick to ROW.

If you fancy a guided tour drop me a line some time, I'll add in a few other wrecks and tea plants!!

cheers for replies, blimey Ian I couldnt give a guide of my own back garden that in depth, on reflection from the top of bleaklow stones i could see a slight track heading to grinah stones so i took a bearing for swaines head which i followed for a while [too literally i think] then with swaines greave to my right decided to decend ,not a problem on a nice sunny morn but come the depths of winter could have been a bugger.
    btw has there been a mass population in the hare ranks this year must have seen 30+ yesterday