Page 97 of 110 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasdale

[QUOTE=DazTheSlug;599545]2015 race now in calendar for 11th July

Many Thanks In Advance to RO for efforts in getting this on [QUOTE]
    a dark peaker I think...

[QUOTE=IanDarkpeak;599550][QUOTE=DazTheSlug;599545]2015 race now in calendar for 11th July

Many Thanks In Advance to RO for efforts in getting this on
    a dark peaker I think...
    Well done that person
    No country for old men.

Filling in my entry for Wasdale with the intention of treating it as a training run for the CCC in August. The toughest fell race I've done is Borrowdale. Wondering how this compares in terms of difficulty... obviously more ascent/descent and distance.

Hi John,

I'm planning on doing it again mate but likewise more as a training run effort (or just getting round without bonking this time, lol)

I can't compare it to Borrowdale as I haven't done it. But it's a proper monster in terms of the climbing. If you over cook things early on before Pillar you can really come unstuck from the climb up Gable to the finish. I had a particularly bad day at the office but this really is a proper test. Navigation wise the section from Seatallan to Pillar in the clag could be a nightmare I imagine too. Weather was ok last year.

Looking back I definitely hadn't done enough long runs on the fells mind. Big big difference between feeling strong over 10-12m on the fells and 21, lol

Start off sensibly and get some fuel in following plenty of long training runs and you'd be ok for it. Will tell you more about it when I next see you or can drop you an email.
    Last edited by FellRunner09; 26-03-2015 at 02:59 PM.

I've also got my eye on Wasdale, went to watch parts of it last year and really wet my appetite for it. Never done any of the Lakeland Classics, the hardest ones I've done are Edale Skyline and 3 Peaks, as well as some tough mid-distance races like Winter Hill, Blakey Blitz and Heptonstall.

I think I might be out my depth a little, but I know the area having walked most or part of the course in the past, so I know what I'm letting myself in for. Just really fancy having a crack at it as I turned 50 this year and wanted to do some challenging event that I'd never done before and would definatley take me out my comfort zone.
    Last edited by Fozzy42; 26-03-2015 at 03:55 PM. Reason: ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy42 View Post
    I've also got my eye on Wasdale, went to watch parts of it last year and really wet my appetite for it. Never done any of the Lakeland Classics, the hardest ones I've done are Edale Skyline and 3 Peaks, as well as some tough mid-distance races like Winter Hill, Blakey Blitz and Heptonstall.

I think I might be out my depth a little, but I know the area having walked most or part of the course in the past, so I know what I'm letting myself in for. Just really fancy having a crack at it as I turned 50 this year and wanted to do some challenging event that I'd never done before and would definatley take me out my comfort zone.
    Just get up there, recce it a couple of times and you will be alright. I did it as my first long fell race, approx double distance/climb of my previous longest Helvelyyn. I knocked 45 minutes off last year and hope to knock some more off some time, but not this year.

Dan

Ps enjoy it it's an amazing day out

Wasdale is much tougher than Borrowdale, very little is runnable even the descents.

The race starts at Pillar!

Quote Originally Posted by wjb View Post
    Wasdale is much tougher than Borrowdale, very little is runnable even the descents.

The race starts at Pillar!
    The race starting at Pillar is definitely true! Unfortunately my legs had gone before that, Gable put me on my arse and I had to haul myself over the last bit just to finish. Bonked coming over sca fell pike.

Truly epic day though!

Quote Originally Posted by Fellrunner1975 View Post
    Filling in my entry for Wasdale with the intention of treating it as a training run for the CCC in August. The toughest fell race I've done is Borrowdale. Wondering how this compares in terms of difficulty... obviously more ascent/descent and distance.
    I found it more difficult - dropping back down to Wast Water in the first third is quite tough pyschologically, there's more chances to make nav errors in clag, and as you say a bit more distance, a lot more climbing and also rockier. It's not to be under estimated, but it's a gem of a race... you'll love it!

2 weeks to go to my first Wasdale, nervous just thinking about it. Think I'm gonna be out my depth to be honest but cant wait to have a crack at it, just hope next weeks heatwave has passed by then. Apart from the drinks handed out at Greendale is their much chance of water along the route after a dry spell.