Page 104 of 110 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1096

Thread: Wasdale

The CFRA document is still on their website (I assume for historic interest): http://www.cfra.co.uk/safetyfellraces.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    The CFRA document is still on their website (I assume for historic interest): http://www.cfra.co.uk/safetyfellraces.pdf
    Yes. That's the one (and easier to read than the original typed version).
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Just to further add to this thread and in particular my own situation which was entirely of my own making of course, on reflection these are the things that I believe contributed to my situation -

1. I removed my jacket in Greendale because it was warm and humid in the valley and didn’t put it back on until way after I should have by which time I had become soaked. My reasoning at the time was I just didn’t feel cold. I should have anticipated better how I would get being out on the fells in poor conditions for what turned out to be upwards of 6 hrs. Having read Nicky's blog on his race experience some useful pointers in that especially his use of the rule of 3.

2. I should have taken more food than I would normally have done given the weather. I didn't anticipate enough how much more energy I would be burning off in the wind and rain. I normally struggle to eat during long runs/races like many of us but that wasn’t the case on Saturday when I ate more than I normally would but still could have done with more.

3. Most importantly I should have run off the pike on a bearing rather than trust that I would be ok and be able to stay in contact with others. Had I done that last thing I don't have any doubt I would have been back at the finish eating those lovely sandwiches and drinking sweet tea but the extra time bumbling around somewhere on the side of the mountain getting colder got the better of me. My nav up until that point had been ok despite a little detour around Scoat fell and having done that run down to the valley many times before (including in poor visibility) didn’t think it would be a problem, a stupid mistake on my behalf and I should have known better.

Finally the one thing that struck me is just how quickly you go from feeling ok to being a mess (I felt reasonable enough going through the Scafell checkpoint) proving above all how important it is to react early and anticipate what potentially might happen.

It’s a great race and fantastically organised by the Cumberland Fell Runners Association and I'll definitely be back for more I hope. Thanks again to all involved.

Ash

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Having read Nicky's blog on his race experience some useful pointers in that especially his use of the rule of 3.

Ash
    Glad you're OK, Ash. Think you may find Nicky isn't a he though!
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

3. Most importantly I should have run off the pike on a bearing rather than trust that I would be ok and be able to stay in contact with others. Had I done that last thing I don't have any doubt I would have been back at the finish eating those lovely sandwiches and drinking sweet tea but the extra time bumbling around somewhere on the side of the mountain getting colder got the better of me. My nav up until that point had been ok despite a little detour around Scoat fell and having done that run down to the valley many times before (including in poor visibility) didn’t think it would be a problem, a stupid mistake on my behalf and I should have known better.
    It's that thing about reaching the summit of a mountain and then having an accident on the descent... I was confident once we hit the path off ScaFell Pike that the only thing we still had worry about was the state of our knees after the ensuing 3000' of descent. In reality we ended up just on the wrong (north east) side of Lingmell Col, heading towards Sty Head again. When I stopped to take a bearing I couldn't believe that we were heading east by north instead of west. Fortunately my son took more notice of what the compass was saying than what I was saying, and we reascended a short way to the Col and soon hit the wall and path down into Wasdale. Given that I had all my spare kit on and had eaten all my food there wasn't much margin for error.
    if I can't see blencathra it's raining
    if I can see blencathra it's going to rain

Quote Originally Posted by DinoF View Post
    Glad you're OK, Ash. Think you may find Nicky isn't a he though!
    Ah thanks for pointing that out I'm new on here so didn't realise no offence meant Nicky.

Ah thanks for pointing that out I'm new on here so didn't realise no offence meant Nicky.
    Haha Ash and knowing Nicky (Spinks) well enough I can asure you that no offence will be taken. I was helping out on the finish on Saturday and I can tell you that we were all mightily relieved to see you back safe and well. We had identified your car still on the field and knew that you were having a bit of an epic day.

It was also great to see that all the safety systems in place to recognise that someone was unaccounted for worked as they should have done. We were also able to identify the last checkpoint that you had been recorded through. It was interesting that you were by no means last at Esk Hause so it had all gone wrong afterwards.

Nicky's account should be a useful reminder to all runners that carrying kit will not keep you safe. You do actually have to take some responsibility for your own wellbeing and put stuff on. It can be hard lesson to learn.

All the best
    Charmian Heaton

Quote Originally Posted by Charmian View Post
    Haha Ash and knowing Nicky (Spinks) well enough I can asure you that no offence will be taken. I was helping out on the finish on Saturday and I can tell you that we were all mightily relieved to see you back safe and well. We had identified your car still on the field and knew that you were having a bit of an epic day.

It was also great to see that all the safety systems in place to recognise that someone was unaccounted for worked as they should have done. We were also able to identify the last checkpoint that you had been recorded through. It was interesting that you were by no means last at Esk Hause so it had all gone wrong afterwards.

Nicky's account should be a useful reminder to all runners that carrying kit will not keep you safe. You do actually have to take some responsibility for your own wellbeing and put stuff on. It can be hard lesson to learn.

All the best
    Thanks that's a relief I certainly wouldn't want to be disrespectful to someone who has achieved so much in the sport and is rightly admired by many (me included)

It was great to get back to the field eventually and see you all there I can tell you, thanks again.

Ash

A few pics from last Saturday, mostly at Greendale Bridge, not great quality sorry.

Was hoping to take a few more at Scafell Pike summit but 'cos it was chucking it down and blowing a gale I dare'nt even get my camera out.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/145179885@N07/7p33j6
    Last edited by Fozzy42; 14-07-2016 at 01:38 PM.

... I should have anticipated better how I would get being out on the fells in poor conditions for what turned out to be upwards of 6 hrs.

... I didn't anticipate enough how much more energy I would be burning off in the wind and rain.

... My nav up until that point had been ok despite a little detour around Scoat fell and having done that run down to the valley many times before (including in poor visibility) didn’t think it would be a problem, a stupid mistake on my behalf and I should have known better.

Finally the one thing that struck me is just how quickly you go from feeling ok to being a mess (I felt reasonable enough going through the Scafell checkpoint) proving above all how important it is to react early and anticipate what potentially might happen.
    Hi All, first time on the forum for me.

I can't echo Ash's words enough.

Wasdale 2016 was my first Lakeland fell race, and I may have been a little naive about just how tough the route would be, but I got round without incident and thankfully inside the cut-offs. And yet, all the way round I was acutely aware of those same 3 points Ash makes above - concerned about not letting myself deteriorate due to lack of energy, not wanting to become too cold even if it meant being trapping wet clothing inside a waterproof layer, and concerned that I would make a daft route choice or lose concentration when mentally and physically tired.

I'm not smug about getting round the course, it was tough and I was within 10 minutes of each of the cut-offs and any small delay, including wind or a fall, could have conspired against me. But staying safe and fueled and alert enough to get around the whole course was a big deal and right at the front of my thoughts for 6+ hours. Keeping myself in a good state meant more than chasing a time or the person in front.

I'd call myself a novice fell runner, but with plenty of prior experience of battling cold/wind/rain/navigation in the mountains during summer and winter. I've known much worse conditions in Scotland in winter, so that was how I framed the whole day, aware of what I had to do to stay safe. It's like so many have said here and elsewhere, experience matters. Knowing what to look for in yourself - recognising the signs of your own decline - can only be gained through experience. You can only gain the right experience from putting yourself into situations that give rise to learning from mistakes, and learning from those who have been there before. I've made my share of mistakes in the past and thankfully these are etched in memory every time I go into the hills, especially in conditions like Saturday, putting me into a hyper-alert mode where I'm constantly checking against that line that must not be crossed. It could so easily have been me.

Ash's last point is so important. Knowing that it's possible to deteriorate rapidly and make bad decisions means there must be some margin for error in decisions. Pushing hard means there is rarely much of a margin. Fell running can be such an all-round test, nothing is ever beyond doubt, and that's part of the appeal. I hope I never forget that.

I take my hat off to those marshalls who gave up their time to stand in rain and wind at the top of each hill. Every one of them was cheery and helpful. I am so impressed!

Glad you got back in one piece Ash. Well done.

BTW, my back still aches from carrying too much food last Saturday!