Page 108 of 110 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110 LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1096

Thread: Wasdale

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    How many no-shows of the ~375 runners on the start list do you think there will be this year?
    There was certainly rather more anxiety expressed about this event at a recent local training session than usual - as it is about one third of a BG it is understandable. Good luck to all who give it a go - it has been said you are only playing until Wasdale is under your belt.

Had a lovely couple of hours in top of Pillar this afternoon, firstly reminiscing with the marshalls about last year's race, and then watching the race come through...

Carl Bell was leading on Pillar by around 4-5 minutes, didn't recognise 2nd. 3rd Helm Hill. 4th Simon Bailey. 5th Rob Jebb. 6th Karl Grey. Then a few I didn't recognise. 11th Ben Abdlenoor, 12th Pete Vale.

Keswick seemed to be fairing very well in the team's, Ambleside probably 2nd, Dark Peak were packing well but no-one in the top 15 or 20 I don't think.

Hello to Tindersticks who appeared to be having a good run. And RaceTheSweeper good to chat and hope it went well, despite how you felt, you were having a good one.

Carl Bell running up Pillar in the same fashion I'd run on the flat. amazing to see.

Lovely conditions, probably a little hot for those racing.

Only a bit hot in the valley, nice breeze up high, people cramping up and going backwards later on though, sun still taking its toll even if not as hot as 2013.

Food at end cracking!

Worth mentioning the start was 90-120s longer than precious years, so Carl's time worth a 3.39. I hear fastest since Andy Styan in 1990

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Had a lovely couple of hours in top of Pillar this afternoon, firstly reminiscing with the marshalls about last year's race, and then watching the race come through...

Carl Bell was leading on Pillar by around 4-5 minutes, didn't recognise 2nd. 3rd Helm Hill. 4th Simon Bailey. 5th Rob Jebb. 6th Karl Grey. Then a few I didn't recognise. 11th Ben Abdlenoor, 12th Pete Vale.

Keswick seemed to be fairing very well in the team's, Ambleside probably 2nd, Dark Peak were packing well but no-one in the top 15 or 20 I don't think.

Hello to Tindersticks who appeared to be having a good run. And RaceTheSweeper good to chat and hope it went well, despite how you felt, you were having a good one.

Carl Bell running up Pillar in the same fashion I'd run on the flat. amazing to see.

Lovely conditions, probably a little hot for those racing.
    It was great chatting with you too Travs. It was definitely a better day for marshalling than last year! It was good to chat to the timed out runners too before they headed back down. Everyone enjoying the experience even if their race didn't go according to plan.

See you all next year?

Wow what a race. MrRTS put it very well at the end with "Wooooosh, that was hard!" Hardest race he has ever done and he was a bit disappointed with his effort. However, as I pointed out. "You finished with no injuries and no lasting aches and pains so there is a success. Also that is race 21 done and dusted so only 29 to go for your 50@50". Beau dog and I were marshalling on the final CP Lingmell and we were witness to a World of pain coming down that sod of a descent. Whoever devised the route .... you meanie! haha. Hubby did say it was a cracking route and he will come back next year and hope to do it justice. Weather was brilliant (for spectating) and I would think no one got lost?

Thank you to Manhar for showing Beau dog and I the ropes at the CP. We had a super day out. Big thank you to all the runners as you were all so lovely. Great organisation and all round fantastic event. MrRTS said there was so much support out on the course with people throwing jelly babies, orange squash, apricots and all sorts the runners way. He did draw the line though at the Peanut butter and Marmite sandwich! Really?

He said great to see you on the course Travs. He felt rubbish at that point so it was a good boost. Next time tell him to Man up haha

Race 22 next weekend - Snowdon :-) It will be a doddle after Wasdale!

How many no-shows of the ~375 runners on the start list do you think there will be this year?
    finishers 233

dnf 51 (18% of 284 starters)
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    finishers 233

dnf 51 (18% of 284 starters)
    Yes, I was just looking at that. So approximately a quarter of pre-entrants didn't run on the day.

Yes, I was just looking at that. So approximately a quarter of pre-entrants didn't run on the day.
    Well this is a result of increasing pre-entry requirement and entry limits, increasing FRA membership and the triumph of aspiration over ability.

When I was a lad Wasdale was EOD.

However this can all be factored in by an astute RO. The Calendar puts the entry limit at 250 but of the 375 accepted only 284 turned up on the day - so the RO got it about right.

My 5th Wasdale and probably the hardest yet.....why so tough this year?

The weather: it was uncomfortably hot in the valleys but was ideal on the tops, nothing compared to the scorcher of 2013...overall it was good.

Navigation: really shouldn't have been a problem for anybody such was the clarity on the day.....so why did countless runners, myself included, go down the gnarly gully on the descent from Whin Rigg.

Water: loads on route and as always at Greendale it's a pleasure to see Joss and family handing out water and juice.

Underfoot conditions: for me this was one of the main obstacles of the day. The climb up Seatallan was a proper drag over the saturated ground, Seatallan is hard enough when dry...when wet, what a bugger. On the plus the rocks over Gable, Scafell etc were bone dry.

Support: given the lovely day it was great to see so many friendly faces out and about throughout the race offering encouragement, water and jelly babies etc....many thanks.

Pre- race preparation: personality this is where it all goes 'tits up' for me. Wasdale was my 5th race in 8 days and it certainly showed...will I ever learn? If I'm to achieve a sub 5hrs on this race I need to give it more respect...it's that simple.

In summary: pretty decent day for a Wasdale. If drier underfoot how much faster would Carl have blasted around the course, not forgetting the extra bit at the start which added about 2 minutes.

Many thanks to all involved....amazing food at the finish really hit the spot.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

[QUOTE=Tindersticks;634311]My 5th Wasdale and probably the hardest yet.....why so tough this year? Wasdale was my 5th race in 8 days and it certainly showed...will I ever learn?QUOTE]

Well noted Darren - but you hadn't already raced earlier that morning so as an excuse it's a bit feeble.