Page 59 of 110 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasdale

Re: Wasdale 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    The first good stream is crossed on the way up Seatallan from Greendale (it's the outflow from Greendale tarn). Then there are streams on the traverse from Seatallan across towards the gap between Scoat and Red Pike enroute for Pillar. After that I think the next running water is the stream at the back of Kirk Fell, just down from Black Sail Pass. There's a stream alongside the path for part of the way up Sty Head pass, and there's an excellent spring just off the path on the side of Great End as you head up from Esk Hause to Scafell (just before where the path steepens, approx grid ref 227081).

There has been a thread recently about the advisability of drinking from streams, but whatever your thoughts on this, the last spring I referred to is virtually guaranteed to be pure as it comes straight out of the ground.
    Very useful info, cheers! I know the area fairly well from walking it but can never remember stream locations.

What are the chances of "winging" this race with just map, compass & no reccie ? I've entered, but have no chance of squeezing one in ! Hoping to keep someone in sight all the way round !!!

Last year there was no problem finding water as it was coming from the sky non-stop. There was a problem finding the route as visibility was crap. It would be near impossible to wing this in anything other than perfect weather and even then...

I got lost on scafell pike for ages before sorting myself out and getting back in. I had a full, laminated os map. Unfortunately I was worried about the time I had taken so went straight back without going via the last checkpoint and dq'd myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlegs View Post
    Last year there was no problem finding water as it was coming from the sky non-stop. There was a problem finding the route as visibility was crap. It would be near impossible to wing this in anything other than perfect weather and even then...

I got lost on scafell pike for ages before sorting myself out and getting back in. I had a full, laminated os map. Unfortunately I was worried about the time I had taken so went straight back without going via the last checkpoint and dq'd myself.
    I wouldn't say near impossible in anything other than perfect weather. There's only patches of the route not on well worn paths, and there's lots of cairns going up Scafell Pike for in the bad weather.

Crap weather will slow you down of course, but doesn't make it impossible, as long as you can read a map and take bearings!

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    What are the chances of "winging" this race with just map, compass & no reccie ? I've entered, but have no chance of squeezing one in ! Hoping to keep someone in sight all the way round !!!
    you'll be alright Jez as long as you can see the map infront of ye face!!

You are right and I am wrong. I didn't read the post properly and thought you meant by 'winging it' that you would just rely on following other people rather than navigating yourself. Of course you can do the race without a recce. Last year 4 of us from our club did the race and I don't think any of us had recce'd it. We all got round in bad conditions, albeit I missed a checkpoint. If you can navigate you can get round.

I recce'd it a couple of months ago
    if you didn't know the Pots of Ashness bit you'd just need to follow a bearing to get you up towards Scoat Fell
    apart from that it's all pretty straightforward
    it's not the nav I'm worried about, it's the cut offs! :w00t:
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Cheers for the info. It's my 40th on the 14th of July, so don't fancy still being up there on my birthday ! How's tricks Rev ? Running well ?

now then jez!! ye man im doin alright, just recovering from my exertions at the edin marathon, when I say recovering I mean ive been out for 2 hours up Swaledale this morning in god awful conditions!! holy crap it was rough up there hope ye well m8

Very well mate, thank's. Just on taper week for the Wharfedale Off Road Marathon on Saturday. How did you get on in your marathon ? I'm saying 2.54.