Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is there life after Sky plus?

is there life after Sky plus?

Right. Im sick of paying 50 odd quid to sky for me telly each month. If I cast them assunder what can I do instead? Now bearing in mind I live out in the sticks where freeview is a dim and distant pipe dream, can I still record of my Sky box onto a hard drive recorder or what?

Life changed for the better last moth when I got Sky +. Its unbelieveable.

BT have just launched something called BT Vision...which is TV down your broadband connection.

I have to confess that although I work for BT (in a different division) I don't know much about it...but it seems to have all the normal "terrestial" channels and quite a few of the Satellite ones, e.g. Santana sports, Disney, et al.

Could be worth a look at...start at www.bt.com I guess!
    ...there's a hill nearby missing its fool...

jack
    You won't be able to view Sky channels if you have cancelled your subscription, with or without a Sky box (except a couple of random channels *I think*), so your options for more channels than basic terrestrial are somewhat limited. Living out in the sticks I doubt cable is on the cards either?

Personally I have a freeview card in a computer next to my TV - signal goes through the machine so I can watch live TV or record it when I'm not about. I use mythtv which can be a bit of an arse to set up (requires you to be relatively Linux competent) although there are some good guides around. The good thing about it is that I can set stuff recording over the internet (and thus from my phone), so it's not a problem if I forget about something to be able to set it recording. It doesn't compress the MPEG2 streams so the disk gets full quite quickly (think ~2.2GB/hour) - although there are plugins to transcode the video. It can be set up to be used with satellite/cable/terrestrial as well as freeview.

You could always downgrade your Sky package

Actually, link you need is here I've just found

http://www.btvision.bt.com/?com.bea....&oLDesc=KB_784

Have fun
    ...there's a hill nearby missing its fool...

Blimey, another mythtv geek. I brought a PC from Dell for £119 + delivery to set up as a PVR. I'm expecting to "upgrade" to the £150 one off Sky package soon though since I can't get freeview. I'll have to change the card in the PC though and rig something up with a PC controlled infra red to change channels.

If you are fairly PC literate, setting up mythtv can be quite fun and it has more features that sky plus.

I thought if you had sky on subscription you can get a new card that only allows the free channels?

Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    Right. Im sick of paying 50 odd quid to sky for me telly each month. If I cast them assunder what can I do instead? Now bearing in mind I live out in the sticks where freeview is a dim and distant pipe dream, can I still record of my Sky box onto a hard drive recorder or what?
    We stopped our sky subscription a couple of years ago, but still have our digibox, and can pick up the freeview channels via Sky.

Like you we have no digital terrestrial TV, and can only get Channel 5 through Sky. If you aren't bothered about the sports stuff and films, stop your subscription. We watched the Ben Race via Sky. The only problem we had was the loss of some of the kids channels, but they've sort of got over it now!

Quote Originally Posted by macc ladd View Post
    Blimey, another mythtv geek. I brought a PC from Dell for £119 + delivery to set up as a PVR. I'm expecting to "upgrade" to the £150 one off Sky package soon though since I can't get freeview. I'll have to change the card in the PC though and rig something up with a PC controlled infra red to change channels.

If you are fairly PC literate, setting up mythtv can be quite fun and it has more features that sky plus.

I thought if you had sky on subscription you can get a new card that only allows the free channels?
    We didn't even need to change the card to allow the free channels.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    We didn't even need to change the card to allow the free channels.
    but can u still record stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    but can u still record stuff?
    We have some software on our PC that I only found after the Ben Race was on, so could have recorded direct from digibox. As it was, I recorded onto the VCR. Not sure about how Sky + works.