Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bg@50 - 2012

Bg@50 - 2012

In May next year I turn 50. Its my desire to have a crack at the BG. However....whilst I am a member of a local fell run club, I am not really active within it due to shifts, external pressures and other interests. Hopefully, this year, I will achieve my aim of completing the Lakes Longs/Super-longs...IF I can get Ennerdale and Wasdale under my belt. What I need to know is how do I go about organising an attempt!!? Is it possible to join other attempts (assuming I put something into them obviously!) I'd be happy to assist in attempts as a runner etc, tho' for the same reasons as described earlier, its tricky for me! I also am not sure how much use I'd be as I'm not too quick! Finally I managed 4.50hr for Three Peaks, sub 5.00hr for Borrowdale, is this pace good enough!? Cheers for any assistance. :thumbup:

Super Moderator

Re: Bg@50 - 2012

Keep an eye on here for recces and tag along, or ask on here if folk want to join you on yours. You'll enjoy the recces and soon build up a group of BG mates

Other thing is now is 'peak BG season' for want of a better expression. Offer to help as pacer on a few attempts to get a feel for what happens on a round. Leg 5 c/w isn't a bad one to start with

4-50 at Three Peaks is fine by the way
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 30-05-2011 at 09:57 PM.
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Sub 5 hour Borrowdale is a good building block too. Climb and descend, climb and descend, then climb and descend some more, Good Luck.

Not done a BG myself yet mind. But been shown how to go on by Derby Tup and others
    Hills and Guinness!

Joining another attempt is not a good plan!
    Get some long days training in, recce the sections and put a support team together - sound out your club members or ask for support via the forum.
    As DT says, supporting on another round is the best way of finding out what's involved.
    You will be amazed at how slow the pace is for a 23.5 hour BG. 3 miles an hour is more than enough.
    Good luck!

I found myself in a very similar position to yours last year. The BG had been a long held ambition but I just thought it wouldn't be possible because I didn't have access to the required level of support. I posted a question on this forum about tagging along with another attempt. Someone suggested that FRA forumites are a helpful bunch and that I should organise an attempt and ask them for help. I have been amazed by the response.

The upshot is that, subject to last minute tweaks, I am due to set of on my epic adventure in 3 weeks time.

So gratefull am i for all the support I have received, that i am already willing to offer to support you on your attempt either via reccies or running support on the day if i am available.

Cheers,

Mark

This is all encouraging stuff to hear for myself who's hoping to do a round in the next few years (or maybe more realistically, decades!).

Cheers for that people. So I guess basically you're saying 'Just get stuck in!' When do attempts completely dry up!? Do many people do recce's mid-week?

Most attempts are made between the beginning of May and the end of August, occasionally there's an attempt or two earlier or later than this, unless of course you are aiming at a winter round!! :w00t:

If you are Lakes based then a mid-week recce is feasible but most will recce at weekends simply for the practicalities of it.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Thats a big chunk of my problem Bob! I work, basically 4 on, 4 off....therefore losing pretty much half my weekends...add in odd races, family commitments etc and my w/e's soon disappear! Finding people to 'join up' with and do recce's and even assist with rounds is tricky. But clearly thats what I need to do I guess!

You could always do reccies on your own.
    I envy your potential access to the Lakes mid-week - absolute bliss!