Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twitching calves

Re: Twitching calves

i read in a Lydiard book about him having twitches and he then started taking a supliment that sorted it out.. unfortuanlty im buggered if i can remember whether it was calcium or magnesium. but i think its linked to electrolyte / nerve synapse somehow

I have had Fasciculation of the calf muscles for over 28 years. The more exercise I do the more aggressive it is, even a trot up the stairs gets it going, however it is there all the time to some degree.
    Over the years I have tried to find out the cause and the nearest I came up with is that it is a Motor problem of the brain.
    Well that was fairly obvious as the brain is the engine for the nerves.
    Then one day I did a job for a Neurologist and after finishing the physical work and knowing that my calf muscles would be jumping, I asked him if he had any idea what it was.
    He asked me some basic questions, then after advising me to fix an appointment with him through the hospital, told me it was almost certainly ' Neuro Myotonia'.
    I didn't go to see him, as he told me it was treatable with anti convulsants, and as I don't feel it is doing me any harm apart from maybe cramping up easier than most people, I don't want to go on those.
    See -
    http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/i...s_syndrome.htm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ovFTl77N50

Dave.
    Last edited by dav657; 27-07-2011 at 10:21 PM.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by dav657 View Post
    I have had Fasciculation of the calf muscles for over 28 years. The more exercise I do the more aggressive it is, even a trot up the stairs gets it going, however it is there all the time to some degree.
    Over the years I have tried to find out the cause and the nearest I came up with is that it is a Motor problem of the brain.
    Well that was fairly obvious as the brain is the engine for the nerves.
    Then one day I did a job for a Neurologist and after finishing the physical work and knowing that my calf muscles would be jumping, I asked him if he had any idea what it was.
    He asked me some basic questions, then after advising me to fix an appointment with him through the hospital, told me it was almost certainly ' Neuro Myotonia'.
    I didn't go to see him, as he told me it was treatable with anti convulsants, and as I don't feel it is doing me any harm apart from maybe cramping up easier than most people, I don't want to go on those.
    See -
    http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/i...s_syndrome.htm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ovFTl77N50

Dave.
    If you have had fasciculations for 28 years without developing any other muscle symptoms you almost certainly have Benign Fasciculation Syndrome: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_...ation_syndrome

It is by far and away the commonest cause of fasciculations, and is of no consequence, apart from being interesting, and to some who have it, a source of anxiety. Occasionally, very occasionally, fasciculations are a symptom/sign of serious underlying muscle disease.

I get this after long races (e.g. the Welsh 1000m Peaks and the Saunders recently), and I just put it down to my legs 'mending' after the beating I inflicted upon them.

It didn't particularly worry me and I found it great to freak my kids out with
    Hills - good for the soul...
    http://honestsstories.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    If you have had fasciculations for 28 years without developing any other muscle symptoms you almost certainly have Benign Fasciculation Syndrome: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_...ation_syndrome

It is by far and away the commonest cause of fasciculations, and is of no consequence, apart from being interesting, and to some who have it, a source of anxiety. Occasionally, very occasionally, fasciculations are a symptom/sign of serious underlying muscle disease.
    Yes, I have considered BFS and CFS as well as Neuromyotonia, as they are all within the same group of peripheral nerve hyperexcitability syndromes. BFS is the basic form and researching it doesn't really come up with anything, except that it is apparently harmless. By looking at neuromyotonia, one gets a better possible explanation of why the nerve excitability occurs. However there is no quick answer as the cause is unknown, apart from it being a motor malfunction of the brain. I had it once after a really hard 20 mile Fell run and my calf muscles were twitching in overdrive, the only way I can describe them is like a tight bag of ferociously wriggling maggots.
    Its one way of getting people looking at your legs when wearing shorts!!
    Dave.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by dav657 View Post
    Yes, I have considered BFS and CFS as well as Neuromyotonia, as they are all within the same group of peripheral nerve hyperexcitability syndromes. BFS is the basic form and researching it doesn't really come up with anything, except that it is apparently harmless. By looking at neuromyotonia, one gets a better possible explanation of why the nerve excitability occurs. However there is no quick answer as the cause is unknown, apart from it being a motor malfunction of the brain. I had it once after a really hard 20 mile Fell run and my calf muscles were twitching in overdrive, the only way I can describe them is like a tight bag of ferociously wriggling maggots.
    Its one way of getting people looking at your legs when wearing shorts!!
    Dave.
    It is not a manifestation of brain activity, but of the so called motor unit, which consists of the peripheral motor nerve going from the spinal cord to the muscle, plus the muscle fibres it stimulates. Each "twitch" is the motor unit firing. BFS is probably just part of the spectrum of being normal, but well towards one end, a bit like being 6 foot 8 but without any underlying endocrine problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    It is not a manifestation of brain activity, but of the so called motor unit, which consists of the peripheral motor nerve going from the spinal cord to the muscle, plus the muscle fibres it stimulates. Each "twitch" is the motor unit firing. BFS is probably just part of the spectrum of being normal, but well towards one end, a bit like being 6 foot 8 but without any underlying endocrine problem.
    Yeah, that makes sense. They were fair twitching last night after my first proper run with the club after a 3.5 year lay off, through injury.
    Dave.