Thread: Another newbie!

Another newbie!

Hi All,

Been a while lurking here as a guest and decided to say hi to all!
    I also had a couple of quick questions...

I started out hating running and only went when i was dragged kicking and screaming by uni friends. I finished uni and then stopped altogether. I then began a bit of walking over the hills and realised I was really enjoying it and fancied a bit of a challenge... anyway 2+2 = 4 so i decided to try a bit of running across the hills and loved it.

I'm now up to running around 30 miles a week (usually doing around 10miles per run), all of it either trail runs (plenty of footpaths through woods etc where i live) and as often as i can i'm trying to get out into the hills. Shropshire isn't the best but there are a few 1700ft hills not too far away and then the welsh borders have a few nice 2k+ ranges.

Without having entered any races yet i'm not really sure of the terrain i should be looking at to train on. As an example the run i did tonight was 9.8miles and 1,700ft of gain so this would be a BM category race i guess?

The long distance running really appeals to me so i was just wanting to know if i'm aiming along the right track and what peoples thoughts on good training distances are with an aim to finally be looking at some AL categories.

Also I had a couple of questions regarding footwear but would that be better posted in the equipment section here?

Sorry for the long first post!

Thanks!

Re: Another newbie!

I wouldn't worry too much about the type of terrain, more important is to get the hills in your legs. If you can get used to running hills (both up and down, sounds obvious but still...) then you'll be fine. Pick some races and have a go, might not be best to go for AL just yet, but maybe try some BM or AM races and see how you get on. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks! Downhill is definitely something i need to improve on. I remember reading somewhere, i think on here that the logic of brain off brakes off was the way to go. Takes some getting used to though!

I was looking at some M categories to get a feel for things. I'm just worried about being out of place so wanted to get a good amount of training and miles in hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypal View Post
    Thanks! Downhill is definitely something i need to improve on. I remember reading somewhere, i think on here that the logic of brain off brakes off was the way to go. Takes some getting used to though!

I was looking at some M categories to get a feel for things. I'm just worried about being out of place so wanted to get a good amount of training and miles in hehe.
    Welcome to the forum Freypal, we've all got things to improve on, don't be worried about being out of place, if you love running the fells get some races done and you'll discover you've come to the right place
    Hills and Guinness!

I was in Shropshire last week Freypal, and you can get in some fantastic training there. String a few Long Mynd valleys together in training and you'll be in good shape for most races in England. From the sound of your run tonight, you're well on the way already!
    Yes, put any shoe queries in the 'Equipment' section; helps keep the Forum neat! You can either revive an existing thread if it covers a relevant topic, or start a new one. Do check back over a few recent threads though, as you might find your question has already been answered.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Thanks! It's funny that the idea of running miles over fells doesn't intimidate me but the idea of running a competetive race does!

The Long Mynd is a nice area, plenty of outlying hills around there too. Thanks for the tip, I'll head over that way asap! I did see a route some time ago for a fell race that is run over there so I'll see what that covers.

The folks live at the foot of the Preselis in Pembrokeshire so it's nice when visiting to get up there as the views are stunning. I was hoping to be able to do the preseli bluestone race across there in september too.

If you're running that mileage with that amount of climbing you'd have no problems in a race, Only advice would be to take the first race steady at the start. you can get an adrenalin surge and go off too fast and spend the rest of the race curseing

Hi Freypal,

Shopshire has got some good routes and races (I will be doing more in that area towards the end of this year onwards due to moving house) and if you are in that area then South Wales is not far away - Brecon Fans Race Weekend is 16 & 17 Jul - a good couple of days plus quite a few others.

I am sure you will find quite a few races that tickle your fancy.

Paul
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypal View Post
    Downhill is definitely something i need to improve on. I remember reading somewhere, i think on here that the logic of brain off brakes off was the way to go. Takes some getting used to though!
    Brain off brakes off is my approach but it would be better to try and gauge your balance and proprioception ability before going for it. I've got to be careful on scree and tussocks because i lack good control of my right ankle, however i've always been dainty on my feet which is a plus point. You don't want to be lacking in commitment or confidence either, i'll use any opportunity to gain a place no matter what the risk but don't bottle it and back out because you can't just slam on the brakes on certain surfaces.

If your main interest is going through mediums to longs this is an ideal arena to find your feet, descents are best taken steadily when distance is involved- that was always my conclusion anyway. Short distance descending is a craft, the courses are usually rough and those around you will be going as fast as they are able.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Brecon Fans Race Weekend is 16 & 17 Jul - a good couple of days plus quite a few others.
    That looks good, thanks for the suggestion. I like the sound of the Fan y Big horseshoe on the 17th. I may be away that weekend though so will look into it.

If your main interest is going through mediums to longs this is an ideal arena to find your feet, descents are best taken steadily when distance is involved- that was always my conclusion anyway
    I think I have fairly good balance and don't tend to fall over that much! I've done a few different sports where it was needed/helpful. Having a bit of trouble with a knee at the moment which limits me running downhill after a lengthy run but I've got a physio referal now so hopefuly I can get that seen to.

It's something I am concentrating on trying to improve though.