Thread: bug proof(ish) bivis

bug proof(ish) bivis

rightly or wrongly I'm quite partial to kipping in bags on Scottish hills. However, Im not so keen on finding ticks inside the bag and attached to me :thunbdown:

So I'm considering an upgrade, anyone any experience/recomendations with these all singing all dancing gore tex bags. Maybe something like the ME Borealis

Overnighters, no cooking, windy(the weather not my butt), will be knackered and ready for sleep once in the bag. Although I do occasionally use a micro tarp for a bit of luxury!

Re: bug proof(ish) bivis

rab do a good one and im pretty sure mountain equipment do too. for a cheap option alpkit make a pretty decent one for the money. personally i dont like bags nothing like waking up with one stuck to your face. prefer something like this http://www.readytoleave.com/Vaude-Bi...etails/Froogle
    dont know where im going, dont know where ive been, all im doing is running, running to have fun.

Once you start getting in to hooped bivis I can't really see the difference between that and using something like the Terra Nova Laser Comp there is so little difference in weight and gives you a bit more flexibility.

true but a hooped bivy is a lot cheaper and still light enough.
    dont know where im going, dont know where ive been, all im doing is running, running to have fun.

Actually my Snowdon Mouldings bivvi bag from the early 90s has frankly just died... The taped seams are now longer taped, the Gore-text is no longer water-proof and my attempt to use it in a midge infested field 2 weekends ago left me running for an uncomfortable night in the car...

Time for a new one, and I'd be interested in recommendations for a bug-proof bivvi. Not interested in hooped. Budget is up to £100.

Grateful for any recommendations
    Hills - good for the soul...
    http://honestsstories.blogspot.co.uk

I haven't got a bivi, but I've seen that Rab do one at about £50 and another at about £105, neither with a hoop.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    This link is quite informative, as is the whole website.
    Very good website, although not comprehensive. Just noticed that as I'm looking for a 2 man tent and it misses out a quality Mountain Equipment one from its list.