Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoka Mafate

Hoka Mafate

Was wondering if anyone had ever tried them weird looking Hoka Mafate fell shoes. I have heard a few people banging on about them but never been brave enough to part with my hard earned on a pair. Tended to stick with my trusty Rocklites.

Re: Hoka Mafate

That's a whole world of injuries just waiting to happen. In my opinion this is definitely not a good shoe. Stay well away.

See
    http://www.ransacker.co.uk/running-s...-shoes-review/

This review, whilst having many positive things to say, suggests that they're not good uphill or agile over rocks. That would tend to confirm that they're designed as a trail shoe rather than for the more testing terrain of fell running. I'm a bit worried you describe them as 'fell shoes', Rockhopper. I'm sure Twister is right about the injury risk; even if the sole is incredibly wide to aid stability - and that that could be a problem in itself going along narrow trods - the damage you might do to your ligaments when you fell doesn't bear thinking about.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Never heard of these before, so googled themand read a review or two - strange concept! I dunno enough about the science of shoes, but they seem to go against what most fell shoes are all about; minimal cushioning because the terrain does it for you, low to the ground for stability, not great big plates so you can place your foot where you want as you run over rough and uneven ground...
    if they suit you that's fine, but I don't think I'd fancy a pair over Ilkley moor in january!

£120 for ginger spices trainers. I'll come and break your ankles for half the price
    "That was the night everything changed"

Banned

They seem to have a bit of a following from the " Ultra" community.
    I know the buyer at The Climbers shop in Ambleside swears by them.

Super Moderator

Daftest thing I've seen in a long while. That Ultra community is welcome to them :closed:
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Hmm I tend to do the longer/ultra races as opposed to just fell races so it was probably inacurate to describe these shoes as fell shoes (this is what i was told they were). Dont think i will be bothering with a pair of though.

Quote Originally Posted by Insider View Post
    I know the buyer at The Climbers shop in Ambleside swears by them.
    Saw some of them in the very same shop window the other week but couldn't remember their name. Strange looking beasts.
    I agree with Twister on the injury point.
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Daftest thing I've seen in a long while. That Ultra community is welcome to them :closed:
    Some very, very talented US trail runners use Hokas and run very quickly in them.

The designer is Nicolas Mermoud, a vastly experienced French trail runner who I think left Salomon to start Hoka.

I was passed by quite a few people wearing them in the CCC last year.

Easy to rubbish them, but best to seek the views of those who have worn them I think

As ever, each to their own.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.