Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Widdop

I tried counting sheep....turned this way and that....even wore minimal kit.

And still I couldn't sleep: After working last night, trying to sleep during the day wasn't happening. The mugginess was simply, mugging me off.

Decision time, I'm not working tonight so do I listen to my rationale thoughts which say "stay in and relax, maybe give the new Hawkwind album a proper listen". Or do I go with irrational thoughts which say "go to Widdop, you can always catch up on sleep after the race".

Off to Widdop I went.

I've not done the race for a few years and almost forgot about the frantic start as we run down the road away from The Pack Horse pub. Thankfully the road section is short and we soon turn off onto the fells. Once we arrive at the reservoir I'm feeling knackered and thinking a night listening to rock gods Hawkwind would've been a better decision.

Slowly but surely I start to come around and gain places, especially on the climbs. Widdop's the type of course that can be ran for the full duration but still feels like a proper fell race even though there's no hands on knees needed. Some predominantly runnable courses have a trail race feel about them, I don't find that with Widdop. In parts the terrain is very gnarly and challenging, especially over the open moors. It's a tough mid week race make no mistake. The anti-clockwise route offers some fantastically fast descending, really enjoyed the last descent dropping down to the road.

Well done to the ever youthful Ian Holmes and most definitely youthful Nichola Jackson, who broke the ladies course record.

Special mention to jazz loving gentleman George Arnold who completed the race as a veteran 80....proper fellrunning spirit, what an incredible man.

Cheers to Helen on her first attempt at race organisation and what a brilliant job she did. Also many thanks to all the helpers out and about...even the midges stayed away, what a result!
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    I tried counting sheep....turned this way and that....even wore minimal kit.

And still I couldn't sleep: After working last night, trying to sleep during the day wasn't happening. The mugginess was simply, mugging me off.

Decision time, I'm not working tonight so do I listen to my rationale thoughts which say "stay in and relax, maybe give the new Hawkwind album a proper listen". Or do I go with irrational thoughts which say "go to Widdop, you can always catch up on sleep after the race".

Off to Widdop I went.

I've not done the race for a few years and almost forgot about the frantic start as we run down the road away from The Pack Horse pub. Thankfully the road section is short and we soon turn off onto the fells. Once we arrive at the reservoir I'm feeling knackered and thinking a night listening to rock gods Hawkwind would've been a better decision.

Slowly but surely I start to come around and gain places, especially on the climbs. Widdop's the type of course that can be ran for the full duration but still feels like a proper fell race even though there's no hands on knees needed. Some predominantly runnable courses have a trail race feel about them, I don't find that with Widdop. In parts the terrain is very gnarly and challenging, especially over the open moors. It's a tough mid week race make no mistake. The anti-clockwise route offers some fantastically fast descending, really enjoyed the last descent dropping down to the road.

Well done to the ever youthful Ian Holmes and most definitely youthful Nichola Jackson, who broke the ladies course record.

Special mention to jazz loving gentleman George Arnold who completed the race as a veteran 80....proper fellrunning spirit, what an incredible man.

Cheers to Helen on her first attempt at race organisation and what a brilliant job she did. Also many thanks to all the helpers out and about...even the midges stayed away, what a result!
    And you haven't even mentioned the chocolates you left with!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

You were going well last night Graham. Still life in the old pup yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
    You were going well last night Graham. Still life in the old pup yet.

Not sure about that.

I walked the 6 miles you encouragingly told me were still left to run as soon as you were out of sight.

I was hoping to finish after dark so everyone would have gone home
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 21-07-2016 at 10:23 AM.

"And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

[QUOTE=BillJ;626171]http://www.cvfr.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Widdop-2016-p.pdf/QUOTE]

I need to get out more but...

Last night was the 15th race. There were 114 finishers which is the same as in 2015, in 2014 there were 116, in 2012 there were 124 so, excluding a freak 151 finishers in 2013, the entry seems to have found a natural level at around 115+.

The average for the first 5 races (2002-6) was 84, next 5 years was 104 so there has been a steady growth to the current level.

Interestingly it is not just the same runners every year and eg of the first 10 to finish in 2015 only one was in the first 10 last night.

Oh the sun has just come out in Ilkley...