Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Call the police?

Call the police?

I'm looking for fellow fell running members of the Greater Manchester Police to take part in a fell race in August.

The race is open to serving, special or retired police officers and police staff from across the country.

The race is an AL (22miles/8,000ft climb) and takes in seven of Snowdonia's highest peaks. Runners will complete the course in teams of four and has open, female, mixed and vets teams categories.

Any questions please PM me.

Thanks.

Re: Call the police?

Clewy it's a tenous link but MR personel are classed as Police(insurance and searches) when on call out so if your short...? some of the Western MR teams might have runners keen to take up this offer. Certainly Glossop MRT have a keen runner.

Banned

Flightless Bird almost qualifies but hails from Yorkshire, can he run?

Quote Originally Posted by Clewy View Post

and vets teams categories.....
    Who have been known to win outright!

Ian - I'm not sure if MR will class as police for this race but thanks for the suggestion.

Stagger - If Flightless Bird can transfer to Greater Manchester police by mid August then we'll have him!

Mark G - I often wonder why so many races are won by vets and I'm hoping that I (as a runner in his early 30's) have yet to peak??!?!

Clewy...Now why would I want to do that, when I'm trying to get a WYPAC team to do it. Hope to see you in Snowdonia. With a name like Clewy, I wonder which of GMP Xcountry runners you are....Andy????
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Flightless bird - Busted! Ha ha!

You guessed right! Although my Xcountry appearances were limited this year. Hope to see you on Snowdon!

Have you done this one before Clewy? Its a bit different to most fell races, the team has to stay together and there is a long mandatory kit list which even specifies precisely what first aid must be carried. I last did it two or three years ago when I was recalled from retirement to replace someone else who couldn't run! The current route has a better finish and is nice being circular but the climb up Snowdon is less interesting than the old route. Dont economise on kit - if you place they rightly check every item for every member of your team very thoroughly. Its a lot better nowadays than it used to be though - we once almost got disqualified for running in shorts (yes, really), and originally you were required to wear boots, which put me off entering for many years. Some of the rules seem a bit archaic but to be fair to the organisers they have worked hard and brought things on a lot (shorts and trainers being the best examples) and the race was originally set up as an event for police cadets back in the 1970s which explains the stringent approach.

Mark G - Yep. Done the race twice and have completed too many recces to mention... The Glyders always seem to offer a challenge in the clag!

We came 'second' last year but ended up losing a team member, so while our time was recognised as official we didn't actually place or win a prize (a moral second place if that makes sense?).

Still on the hunt for a couple of decent runners from GMP though...

Quote Originally Posted by Clewy View Post
    Mark G - Yep. Done the race twice and have completed too many recces to mention... The Glyders always seem to offer a challenge in the clag!

We came 'second' last year but ended up losing a team member, so while our time was recognised as official we didn't actually place or win a prize (a moral second place if that makes sense?).

Still on the hunt for a couple of decent runners from GMP though...
    Detective skills at their finest again??? :w00t: :sneaky: :thumbup: