Thread: JNLC: Mudclaw or Roclite?

JNLC: Mudclaw or Roclite?

Help me make my mind up here please! I'm in 2 minds whether to wear my Mudclaw 270s for better downhill grip or my Roclite 315s for better comfort on the JNLC the week after next. Which would you BGR runners go for? No other choices please - I'm not buying new shoes!
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Re: JNLC: Mudclaw or Roclite?

hiya Andy-now this sounds the same as me-I spent weeks worrying about what to wear and trawled through the equipment thread over and over again. It seemed everyone was going with mudclaws and I was paranoid that, having really wide feet, I wouldn't get on with them, but i'd "fail" if I didn't have the grip. Fortunately, I stuck to my tried and tested Mizuno wave harriers that I am comfiest in and they worked! Didn't change them once, not even the last road bit. Like slippers all the way!! Given the JNC is a similar long distance I'd say go with comfort-its not an eyeballs out fellrace where grip is important for vital seconds. But if its wet...........?????????
    Good luck with it-hope to see you soon..
    Rachel
    Gala pie-its the future

Master

Did leg 1 in 333's recently - feet were getting a bit tender towards the end - will wear my 315's next time; grip almost as good, so much more comfortable.

When I pottered round legs 2-5 of the BGR a couple of weeks ago in Roclite 2?5s and regretted the lack of Mudclaw grip on a number of descents. The weather was pretty moist, I suppose, and maybe it was a case of "the grass is always greener", as Mudclaws probably would have been worse on the rockier bits. I had an exciting moment heading down into Wasdale when I slipped and discovered just how little friction there is between Lowe Alpine Triplepoint and wet grass - I got up quite a bit off speed and only just stopped myself before the stream, but I suppose it saved some time. I reckon Mudclaws might have prevented that slip... but maybe the fact I descend with all the grace of a crippled warthog is the real cause.

If you're used to wearing your Mudclaws for longer runs, I'd go with them every time. I wore mine over the Saunders this weekend and covered a wide range of terrain, mostly "off piste", with no ill effects. But, I am used to long days in them, so I guess my feet are used to them. Also, I'd sacrifice a bit comfort for grip in nasty conditions.

I did it in 270s - they were perfect. If you're on a 12 hour schedule then you're going to be running pretty fast for a fair bit of it. However, I've never worn Roclites, so can't really compare. (I did my BG in 330s just in case you're interested!)

Good luck - it's a fantastic day out.

Thanks to all of you. I think I'm going to go with the Mudclaws. I'd been assuming I'd wear my Roclites, & wore them for my attempt in bad weather at the end of May and for a recce of the last section a couple of weeks ago. I was skidding a bit down the steep wet grassy slopes off Haycock & Seatallan, & thought I'd probably find the same on other bits, e.g. the descent of Seat Sandal. But then I had my Mudclaws on for 19 hours over the weekend (Saunders Scafell), & my feet seem to have survived that so I thought I ought to think again. Being an old man I'm on a 15-hour schedule - I've no chance of getting under 12 hours!
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    Thanks to all of you. I think I'm going to go with the Mudclaws. I'd been assuming I'd wear my Roclites, & wore them for my attempt in bad weather at the end of May and for a recce of the last section a couple of weeks ago. I was skidding a bit down the steep wet grassy slopes off Haycock & Seatallan, & thought I'd probably find the same on other bits, e.g. the descent of Seat Sandal. But then I had my Mudclaws on for 19 hours over the weekend (Saunders Scafell), & my feet seem to have survived that so I thought I ought to think again. Being an old man I'm on a 15-hour schedule - I've no chance of getting under 12 hours!
    Bit late now but I do like my Rock Lite 315s for comfort and find they do the job on summer terrain - for extra grip it really depends how much tread is left on your claws (mine might be below the legal limit now).