Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Phone Hacking

Phone Hacking

It's pretty disgusting what those hacks at the News of the World have been up to isn't it?

Re: Phone Hacking

Yeah. Hope the Glossop Chron would never stoop so low.
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

Quote Originally Posted by Margarine View Post
    Yeah. Hope the Glossop Chron would never stoop so low.
    Maybe if a Metrick's pie was at stake! We don't do that at the Tameside Reporter....

Looks like the "5.0" are just as bad....

Sir Paul Stephenson:

"In view of the widespread media coverage and public interest, I am taking the unusual step of issuing this statement.

As you know Operation WEETING - the investigation into phone hacking -commenced on 26 January. I can confirm that on 20 June 2011 the MPS washanded a number of documents by News International, through theirbarrister, Lord Macdonald QC.

Our initial assessment shows that these documents include information relating to alleged inappropriate payments to a small number of MPS officers.

Discussions were held with the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) at the time and they are content that this matter should continue to be investigated through Operation ELVEDEN under the direction of DAC Sue Akers, in partnership with our Directorate of Professional Standards.

At this time we have not seen any evidence requiring a referral to the Metropolitan Police Authority (MPA) in respect of any senior officer.

Whilst I am deeply concerned by recent developments surrounding phone hacking they are a product of the meticulous and thorough work of Operation WEETING, which will continue.

Operation ELVEDEN will be equally thorough and robust. Anyone identified of wrongdoing can expect the full weight of disciplinary measures and if appropriate action through the criminal courts."

Surely Inspector Knacker of the Yard should relinquish the investigation "Operation Weeting" to an outside force? How can they be trusted when they've been caught in troff?

I've just been offered a free copy of The Times, which I declined. I really don't want anything to do with this lot, or anyone connected with them. I've always been uneasy about paying money to the Murdoch empire for Sky TV. Unfortunately around here there isn't really an alternative way of getting Eurosport.

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    I've just been offered a free copy of The Times, which I declined. I really don't want anything to do with this lot, or anyone connected with them. I've always been uneasy about paying money to the Murdoch empire for Sky TV. Unfortunately around here there isn't really an alternative way of getting Eurosport.
    I subscribe to Eurosport player for £3 a month.

Isn't Eurosport a free channel that Sky distribute? I think you can get a free decoder card from Sky to allow you to view the free to air channels without giving Sky any money. Not sure if Eurosport is or will be available on Freesat/Freeview anytime though.

Ok, it looks as though it's no longer free, though I think it used to be back in the analogue satellite days.
    Last edited by bigfella; 06-07-2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Correction
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

I think the media is reflecting how the standards in our life and public life generally have slipped so it's not surprising to me that they behave in this manner.

We are on the world of Facebook, Twitter, X-Factor, Footballers Wive's, Jordan and Peter......

But there's no balance in the penalty today for crime. We see all sorts of rubbish printed in the press, front page headlines with then buried small print retractions. They are poorly regulated and a law unto themselves.

I see no reason to single out Murdoch we have had others such as Conrad Black & Maxwell and they are all at it - and the TV channels are often misleading. The press and media think they can do what they like.

We often see on news and current affairs programmes that "..... declined to be interviews for this programme" and I always think is it any wonder why?

I once saw the Cook Report do a hatchet job on Martin Pipe the race horse trainer - it was a debacle how the programme could use edited quotes to create a programme out of a non issue.

If any broadcasting world was legally obliged to give more space and/or time to retractions then less rubbish would be printed / broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I think the media is reflecting how the standards in our life and public life generally have slipped so it's not surprising to me that they behave in this manner.

We are on the world of Facebook, Twitter, X-Factor, Footballers Wive's, Jordan and Peter......

But there's no balance in the penalty today for crime. We see all sorts of rubbish printed in the press, front page headlines with then buried small print retractions. They are poorly regulated and a law unto themselves.

I see no reason to single out Murdoch we have had others such as Conrad Black & Maxwell and they are all at it - and the TV channels are often misleading. The press and media think they can do what they like.

We often see on news and current affairs programmes that "..... declined to be interviews for this programme" and I always think is it any wonder why?

I once saw the Cook Report do a hatchet job on Martin Pipe the race horse trainer - it was a debacle how the programme could use edited quotes to create a programme out of a non issue.

If any broadcasting world was legally obliged to give more space and/or time to retractions then less rubbish would be printed / broadcast.
    Do you think the press should be regulated by the state then?

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    Do you think the press should be regulated by the state then?
    Why not?

They get away with a lot because often their "crimes" are civil and not criminal, so the police and PPS will not be involved and it's then up to the individual to seek redress.
    If millionaires find it difficult to get a fair hearing then how about Joe Public?

Why not frame a law that says that any untruths printed in a paper must give equal space in terms of column inches and prominance to any retraction?