Page 63 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Thread: Fell running blogs

Super Moderator
    Ben, I can't believe an international superstar once dragged my sorry cramp-ridden Hobbly arse off the deck in Calderdale. Very well done on a great run of (hard earned) form
    Poacher turned game-keeper

My race report on the 2015 Scafell Pike race

http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/20...race-2015.html
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    5th July, the 3 Peaks and my dicky ticker attack

1st August, a short 'recovery' run from Sedburgh

8th August, Moughton from Horton

16th August, Pen y Ghent done steep

29th August, Whernside

31st August, the 3 Peaks!!!!

6th September, the Settle Loop

12th September, Plover Hill, Pen y Ghent and Helwith Bridge loop

13th September, Ingleborough from Austwick

Hopefully I'm now on the mend. Unfortunately Hester now has a badly swollen knee which could be reactive arthritis so she's now ironically out of the running for a while. We're a right pair of grandma's according to my youngest daughter.....
    Glad you are on the mend Stolly. Hope Hadge is looking after you both.
    All the best
    sbrt

Well after a pretty disastrous run around the 3 Peaks on Saturday I've come to the conclusion that my running abilities have fallen of a cliff!
    Nah! You'll be sorted after a little interlude. Although, we all know deep down that when we reach a....erm....certain vintage our performance slope inevitably does tend to head slowly south. I've noticed that I have to exercise even harder (press-ups and other core workouts etc.)each day just to stay where I am. Ain't life a female dog? Time perhaps to source legitimately some of those performance enhancing drugs?
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Nah! You'll be sorted after a little interlude. Although, we all know deep down that when we reach a....erm....certain vintage our performance slope inevitably does tend to head slowly south. I've noticed that I have to exercise even harder (press-ups and other core workouts etc.)each day just to stay where I am. Ain't life a female dog? Time perhaps to source legitimately some of those performance enhancing drugs?
    Haha, yeah Mossdog I reached the zenith of my fell running ability in 2012 (when I was 56 ) and I'm now well and truly on the slippery slope.

That said I saw the doctor again yesterday (I've now had half a dozen doctor's appointments in the last three months which is probably more than I've had in all of the the preceding 20 years!) and, on the back of everything else, I now have high blood pressure. Thinking back over the last 2 or 3 weeks, that may in fact be my major issue at the minute, with the pericarditis gradually receding (touch wood). The woozyness at the top of Ingleborough last Saturday suddenly makes sense anyway.

I think ibuprofen can cause raised blood pressure as well as stomach issues and, given that I was taking so much ibuprofen for a while, maybe that might be where the high blood pressure comes from. Pericarditis can also be caused by Lyme disease and I've now arranged a blood test for that too, to hopefully tick that off (preferably, rather than confirm that I've got it!).

This all would have made a great episode of House
    Last edited by Stolly; 23-09-2015 at 01:37 PM.

Haha, yeah Mossdog I reached the zenith of my fell running ability in 2012 (when I was 56 ) and I'm now well and truly on the slippery slope.

That said I saw the doctor again yesterday (I've now had half a dozen doctor's appointments in the last three months which is probably more than I've had in all of the the preceding 20 years!) and, on the back of everything else, I now have high blood pressure. Thinking back over the last 2 or 3 weeks, that may in fact be my major issue at the minute, with the pericarditis gradually receding (touch wood). The woozyness at the top of Ingleborough last Saturday suddenly makes sense anyway.

I think ibuprofen can cause raised blood pressure as well as stomach issues and, given that I was taking so much ibuprofen for a while, maybe that might be where the high blood pressure comes from. Pericarditis can also be caused by Lyme disease and I've now arranged a blood test for that too, to hopefully tick that off (preferably, rather than confirm that I've got it!).

This all would have made a great episode of House
    Here's hoping you get it sorted soon Stolly.

There's definitely something odd going on as two of my rock-climbing/biking mates have also been diagnosed with high blood pressure - yet otherwise both are proverbially fit-as-fiddles! I know its personally galling re your recent run timings, but to put them into perspective those running achievements are still way beyond what many people even half your age would be able to achieve or aspire to, and you're not even 'firing on all cylinders'
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Ben, I can't believe an international superstar once dragged my sorry cramp-ridden Hobbly arse off the deck in Calderdale. Very well done on a great run of (hard earned) form
    Haha it was my pleasure Derby Tup! That's the fell running way ;-)

Hope you all enjoy reading my new blog post...

https://benmounsey.wordpress.com/201...ule-brittania/

Quote Originally Posted by Mounsey View Post
    Hope you all enjoy reading my new blog post...

https://benmounsey.wordpress.com/201...ule-brittania/
    Cracking read Ben! Congratulations again on being part of a medal winning GB team & good on you for putting in the hard graft in to get there.

not technically a blog but some words on the internet.

my LDMT and other interesting stuff
    Adam Speed
    P&B