Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pen Y Fan / Fan Y Big

Re: Pen Y Fan / Fan Y Big

Ali Tye pictures from Fan Y Big Horseshoe appearing here http://www.fellrunningpictures.co.uk/fanybig2011.html

Re: Pen Y Fan / Fan Y Big

Well that was a great day out - next year we'll be there for both races I hope. Very many thanks to the Mynydd Du for hosting such a good race -enjoyed every aspect!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    In a moment of madness last night I booked a bed at Danywenallt Youth Hostel for the Fan y Big / Pen y Fan weekend -- although I haven't done anything quite as stupid as entering the races . . . yet.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    In a moment of madness last night I booked a bed at Danywenallt Youth Hostel for the Fan y Big / Pen y Fan weekend -- although I haven't done anything quite as stupid as entering the races . . . yet.
    Sounds like the next logical step
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

It's the best way round this year as well - the longer Fan y Big on the Saturday and the short and very sharp Pan y Fan on the Sunday :-)

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    It's the best way round this year as well - the longer Fan y Big on the Saturday and the short and very sharp Pan y Fan on the Sunday :-)
    That's right, so that Fan y Big can coincide with the Llanfrynach Village Show (egg throwing, gate hanging, tug-o’-war, beer etc), and note both races start at 12.00 this year.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    That's right, so that Fan y Big can coincide with the Llanfrynach Village Show (egg throwing, gate hanging, tug-o’-war, beer etc), and note both races start at 12.00 this year.
    I think I need to hone my egg throwing and gate hanging skills. 10 miles with a dodgy calf muscle, around a route with no water and no shade in this weather, is beginning to look rather unappealing. I may save myself for Pen y Fan.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I think I need to hone my egg throwing and gate hanging skills. 10 miles with a dodgy calf muscle, around a route with no water and no shade in this weather, is beginning to look rather unappealing. I may save myself for Pen y Fan.
    So, I did indeed decide not to run Fan y Big, and it turned out to be a very wise decision. Highlights and lowlights of my 4-day weekend:-

Watching, counting and encouraging runners from a point halfway down the descent route at Fan y Big.

Gazing over the precipice on the East side of Pen y Fan summit before a rambler pointed out the marker for the correct way down.

Only losing 8 places on the Pen y Fan descent, despite starting to really suffer from the heat.

Having cold water poured over my head and down my throat by some kind runners who noticed me quietly expiring at the finish.

That calf muscle telling me that I'm not going to be doing any more running for another month or two.

Pigging out at the amazing Llanfaes Dairy ice-cream parlour in Brecon after the race.

Discovering that eating is banned in pubs after 6pm on Sundays in this part of Wales, and then being rescued by a kind youth-hostel warden.

Lovely cycle rides along the Brecon & Monmouthshire Canal towpath and the narrow lanes of this part of Wales, with visits to several ancient churches.

A pilgrimage to Llanbedr, from where I set off on many fell races between 1981 and 1995. Dreaming that I will one day regain the fitness required to do Llanbedr-Blaenavon.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Don't forget the Black Mountains from Llanbedr...

If you got round the half Peris last year, you must be 75% of the way there already....?
    Last edited by Travs; 10-07-2018 at 02:02 PM.