Thread: Android GPS apps

Android GPS apps

Hi y'all,

I'm in the market for a new phone and I'm thinking it will run Android. Now I was wondering (I know very little about phones and the tech behind them) when GPS is running does it work via phone signal or actually locate the GPS satellites?

Also what app would you recommend? Is there an OS map app?

Cheers,

Matt

Re: Android GPS apps

I've got an HTC Legend (running Android) and use the free Google Maps applicaion for navigation on roads and in towns. The location can be determined from phone signal, wi-fi hotspots and satellites (GPS) as this phone has a built in GPS (presumably some don't). It works pretty well but battery life is quite poor which is not uncommon for the smaller touch screen devices.

I haven't looked for or tried any other GPS apps as I don't use it when out running on the hills except as a phone.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Hi I have an HTC desire hd with the free sportstracker app on which is great. There are hundreds of this type of gps tracker on the Android app market and most are free. I have had over 7 hours use tracking (walked PPPs) and it uses the gps signal not the phone signal.

matt do the right thing and buy an i phone its the only sensible choice. Everyone i know who didnt have one called them shit then when they finally got one they realised its the best phone out there. so simple to use and well built.
    dont know where im going, dont know where ive been, all im doing is running, running to have fun.

The next sensible choice if an Android based unit is unavailable..lol

Hi
    I have a Desire HD and use the paid (£5.50) sportstracklive app. I find both excellent. I tarted off using the Endomdo and sportstracklive free apps, decided that I liked using sportstrack more so splashed out to get it's extra features. Battery life is not exceptional, and I find that occasionally the gps freezes. The key is to start with a fully charged battery, and restart the phone. This refreshes the gps ( I have never had it freeze having restarted it) and ensures that you are only running the program you need, therefore making sure the battery lasts as long as possible. The other big advantage of HTC over iphone is that you can change the battery, meaning that you can carry a spare fully charged one with you if you are going for a rally long session.
    I went for the desire HD because of the size of the screen. With hindsite it is still not really big enough, so if doing it again I would go for a more compact model. Just make sure you get a compact one with a decent processor!

Hi
    I've had an HTC Desire for the past 9 months and use the free Google App, My Tracks http://mytracks.appspot.com/. This displays the route taken; average speed; height gained; etc etc. Also plots a chart of ascent and speed ... The recent version also allows use with a HRM, although I haven't tried this ... All tracks can be renamed, edited, sent to your Google account, sent to Google Earth, emailed to friends etc etc. It will also tell you your Aggregate Distance, Elevation gain and Average Speed [which in my case I am convinced is wildly inaccurate - surely I travel faster than that ]
    Seems to do everything I need and haven't seen the need to purchase any other apps or hardware. I've checked its accuracy by plotting the same route on Memory Map - seems pretty accurate.
    As noted by others, battery life on smart phones is not of the best but good enough for a few hours of Peak District peat plodding ...

Have a look at Viewranger - the software is free (they do an Android version), its not cheap to buy the maps but they are full OS (1:50000, or 1:25000), which is invaluable if you use in conjunction with a normal paper map.
    http://www.viewranger.com/
    My phone is a Motorola Defy (rated to IP67 - or so they claim!!). Carry a spare battery if doing more than 3 hrs on the fells because using the screen a lot eats the battery life.
    The phone doesn't need any mobile signal - just a GPS connection.
    Simon

Endomondo. The free android version is excellent and keeps a GPS signal very accurately.
    He's big and he's good.