Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Heart Of The Lakes Rydal Round

Master

Re: Rydal Round -2012 Results?

Quote Originally Posted by stevebirkinshaw View Post
    The hound tapes were just before the first grassy field. There was a white tape on top of a wall, then regular tapes all the way down.

With hindsight I should have just followed the guys in front but I thought they had missed the tapped route.
    Looking on Bing satellite view I can see that the field before the first grassy field has some gaps in the wall on the right - presumably you went through one of those rather than climb the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Looking on Bing satellite view I can see that the field before the first grassy field has some gaps in the wall on the right - presumably you went through one of those rather than climb the wall.
    There was not a gap but there was an obvious route over. I did not really think about the wall, I was really tired, saw some tapes, thought they must be for the race, went over the wall in the obvious place and carried on as fast as possible.

I guess the hounds would just jump the wall

Master

Quote Originally Posted by stevebirkinshaw View Post
    There was not a gap but there was an obvious route over. I did not really think about the wall, I was really tired, saw some tapes, thought they must be for the race, went over the wall in the obvious place and carried on as fast as possible.

I guess the hounds would just jump the wall
    Shame - you did your best - I agree the map at the start was a bit vague.

One album of Ambleside Sports photos up http://woodentops.org.uk/ more to come of the Sports

Master

In 2007 16 runners were dsq'd for not following the flagged route to the finish, so not a new problem - pity it was not pointed out as a potential problem.

My first Lakeland Fell race. Great experience and fantastic event. Pretty sure I didn't take the quickest way down, but I'll definitely be back for more - have my eye on the Langdale Horseshoe.

Does anybody know when or where the results will be out for this race?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    In 2007 16 runners were dsq'd for not following the flagged route to the finish, so not a new problem - pity it was not pointed out as a potential problem.
    Missed the race this year for the first time in many years but every time I have done it Pete has outlined it as a potential problem when giving his brief at the start of the race, I'd be surprised if he didnt this year.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Missed the race this year for the first time in many years but every time I have done it Pete has outlined it as a potential problem when giving his brief at the start of the race, I'd be surprised if he didnt this year.
    If he did I missed it - and I was listening.

Can I just say that I think the race is the poorer for being essentially a rerun of Fairfield (minus 2 controls)? The old finish, swooping down to the field, was better for runners and spectators alike - now, spectators just clock runners coming back up the track they had headed along 90 minutes or so before, not racing off the fell like a 'proper' show race.

I am not saying there is not a good reason for it, just offering two penn'orth of opinion.

Wahey!
    just booked a cottage in Elterwater for Slug Family break in Lakes...
    ...starting on 28th July...
    whiiich means I can do this race!
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run