Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Malvern Hills

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Welcome to my neck of the woods! A great day can be had out on the hills - glad you enjoyed it. A breezy day this time of year is sometimes preferable to deal with the fly situation!
    There are plenty of footpaths that criss-cross the side of the hills which can add plenty of variation to a day out in the Malverns. Link a few of these together and you can get some serious climbing in a relatively short distance.
    The heat certainly took me by surprise, especially after the very rainy train ride down from Coventry. A lovely day to be out on the hills though..

Yes I did become quite familiar with one or two of the criss-crossing paths, including one episode where I ran past the hotel on the road near British Camp twice in the space of 5 minutes, much to my surprise, and the amusement of the Hawaian-themed wedding guests in the pub garden...

heading over to Malvern again on Sunday... only got about 3 and a half hours between trains so planning to get off at Malvern Link and straight up the north end of the ridge, then run for 75mins, before turning round and running back, hopefully leaving me 45mins to spare to grab something to eat and get back on the train...

hopefully I'll avoid a repeat of the 'navigational issues' I encountered last time (how I managed to make such a meal of route finding on a ridge I'll never know)

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Excellent. Hope you have good one. (There are quite a few paths that don't seem to relate to those published on os maps. Couple that with some quite overgrown vegetation and there's a reasonable amount of opportunity for walkabout even on such a distinct ridge!)
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

A fine run earlier today. Started off at Malvern Link. Upon reaching the carpark at the north end of the ridge, I took the traditional fell-runners option of not bothering with the zigzag path up onto the tops, instead climbing straight up the nose of the ridge through the disused quarries... I was to regret this straight away as it was a 45deg thorny, stony scramble, and reaching an easing in the gradient I found another few hundred metres of treacherous ground before reaching any runnable territory...

Bearing in mind I had a limited amount of time on the hills, (2hrs20) due to train times, I hared off along the ridge with my bloody and battered shins gleaming in the sunlight... within minutes I was happy again and glad I had made the trip over to the Malverns. There were several other runners around, seeming to take the downhills very cautiously, then trying to run all of the uphills... I'm a mere novice on the fells, but my method of flat out downhills and steady ascents saw me flying past them....

There were some real steep sections (Pinnacle Hill?), and keeping to all of the undulations I must have racked up some descent ascent throughout the 11 or 12 miles.... at one point I thought the heat had got to me, when I saw a group of Morris Dancers on top of Worcestershire Beacon... I'm sure it was real...

A shame to lose 20-30mins of running time due to a poor choice of ascent at the start, but a lovely run in fine weather, and a nice bit to eat in the Red Lion after...

Will return again in a few weeks...!