Thread: The 'Halo' Effect

Great Uncle Bulgaria

The 'Halo' Effect

Not strictly fellrunning but there are a lot mountain bikers on here and a lot of folk who are rightly proud of some great British made kit - Walshes and Orange bikes to name but 2. But is there a 'halo' effect to some of this stuff? Clearly I have an angle and it is the rear bearing and freehub on my bike.

Made by a well known and much admired British company it boasts ceramic bearings etc and was neither cheap nor especially light but they are some of the best, arn't they? Yesterday afternoon after a unexceptional ride I was sat by the trail changing a back wheel puncture and as I took the wheel out of the frame the cassette fell off along with most of the freehub. Less than 500 miles of use and I'm 170lbs in riding kit so hardly excessive wear. Never experienced a failure like that with boring old Shimano, even if it is half the price.

So, my question, is there a 'halo' effect to some designer kit that may not be entirely justified?

Re: The 'Halo' Effect

Don't Buy British.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Master

Have you fed back to the company concerned - and if so what was their reply?

Great Uncle Bulgaria

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Have you fed back to the company concerned - and if so what was their reply?
    That is todays task. The company does enjoy a good aftersales reputation so lets Hope there will be a quick resolution but it still should not have happened.

I wouldn't entertain ceramic bearings in anything other than a turbocharger. Shimano Deore all the way.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

With bike gear it seems the more you pay the more fickle the kit becomes, this seems especially true on wheels. Middle of the range seems to give the best 'all round' performance.

Great Uncle Bulgaria

I think that I would like to call a halt to this, nobody set out to make a faulty wheel and these things happen. I was particularly frustrated having just fallen out of a tree getting my kitten down (yes really) and having 'slightly' fractured my wrist in the process. It was just one thing too many but that is not verygrown up of me. So, I'll fix the wheel when all my fingers work properly again and the cat was fine so all is well that.......