Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie footwear advice

david

Re: Newbie footwear advice

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    Ballet shoes would seem to fit your practical theory David
    Good idea. I'll ask Dave at LSR whether he can resole them .

Graeme

[quote=david;42229]Not at all. I agree with what you say.

quote]

My response wasn't directed at you David, however previous experince from other forums, has taught me to be very guarded about what I say, especially, as in my case, you have limited experience.

david

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    My response wasn't directed at you David.
    I didn't think it was. I'm sure there will be some who disagree with both of us.

The only comment I would take issue with is the 'if they don't feel right when you first try them on, don't buy them'.

In my experience (again, limited) fell shoes never feel right when I first try them on in the shop - or, of course, running on the shop's treadmill or up and down the pavement outside - neither of which the shoe is designed for...they then feel totally different as soon as I use them for the purpose they were designed for ie. fell running.

Having said that I have always been a little unsure when buying fell shoes but my normal running shop owner always offers to change them if they don't suit - which seems highly reasonable to me. Another reason not to try and buy cheap on the 'net.

MH

Graeme, this is not just any old forum you know! Feel free to speak and state your view. Oh, and you've summed up the situation perfectly! As you note, the ground is unusually hard at the moment. For training, I use any old trail shoe or even something like Nike pegasus but for racing it has to be a proper fell shoe. I've always used PB Trainers because I found racers too thin for me. I think durability has suffered of late (ever since they introduced the 'rand', a backward step in my view) so I may try something else . Whatever it is, it will not be PB Extremes. They have a sharp edged heel cup which savages my achilles...Daft! Still, old habits die hard so I suspect it'll be another pair of PB trainers.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Graeme, this is not just any old forum you know! Feel free to speak and state your view. Oh, and you've summed up the situation perfectly! As you note, the ground is unusually hard at the moment. For training, I use any old trail shoe or even something like Nike pegasus but for racing it has to be a proper fell shoe. I've always used PB Trainers because I found racers too thin for me. I think durability has suffered of late (ever since they introduced the 'rand', a backward step in my view) so I may try something else . Whatever it is, it will not be PB Extremes. They have a sharp edged heel cup which savages my achilles...Daft! Still, old habits die hard so I suspect it'll be another pair of PB trainers.
    wheeze you say durability has suffered
    in what way
    do you wear them out quickly

david

I've always used PB Trainers because I found racers too thin for me.
    Being a fairly dainty little chap I've never really found that to be a problem.
    I think durability has suffered of late
    I've not found that with the PB Racers. The disintegration rate of my last couple of pairs has been about what I have come to expect.
    I may try something else . Whatever it is, it will not be PB Extremes.
    My problem with the Xtremes was that I found them a bit unstable although I couldn't really work out why. Try some Gladiators if you haven't already done so.

Thanks David, I will give the Gladiators a go.
    Daz, I have found the uppers to split and peel of the rigid rand more quickly than the older style of shoe.
    Also, horror of horrors, I have had snapped laces on my PB Extremes, something I have never had happen before. Not happy with them at all. Other thing that happened with them is that on their very first outing several of the studs sheared right off. You know, I should have sent 'em back. Maybe I will.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

david

Daz, I have found the uppers to split and peel of the rigid rand more quickly than the older style of shoe.
    I never liked the idea of the rand so never bought any of those. Do they still make some models with the rand?

I think they gave up with the rand when they brought out the extreme.
    I cant help feeling that Walshes recent history has been an example of what happens when you break the 'if it aint broke dont fix it' principle.