Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hi! - Walker turned runner(?)

Re: Hi! - Walker turned runner

Joester

Think Ive just figured out who you are as I think we have met a couple of times via Granty.

Anyway, welcome to the FRA forums and a world where dodgy shorts and singlets are socially acceptable!!

Yes, that's me.

You once gave me a bottle of beer, hence you are a fine human being, in my book.

See you out and about at some point, no doubt!

Hard to believe i'd ever relinquish my grip on a beer

This thread is inexplicably popular. I figure I'll keep posting on it.

Another race this evening - The Great Longstone Chase. A weeny bit more serious, this one, it seemed.

It's 4.8 miles with 950 ft of ascent, the ascent comes in one hit, right at the start.

I've been drinking beer and eating takeaways all week. No running since last Sunday's race.
    This is not a good training regime.
    I did have a jog over to my parents last night, which is about 7 miles away, but then had a kebab and chips whilst I was there (no beer, though). Still felt sluggish and unmotivated this morning.

I nearly copped out of this evening, but I made myself go.
    I suppose I had a bad race, the desire to stop running was with me the whole time.
    I'd like to thank the guy from Fat Boys that shouted a few words of encouragement as we approached the top of the last hill - I needed it.

I managed 41 mins and a bit and 63rd place. I know I could have done better if I'd not been such a slob all week. I shall put it down to experience and move on.

The race was won by Es Tressider. I understand he has achieved great things. We were in the same tutor group at school. I didn't introduce myself, I remember not being particularly nice to him back then.

Oh, and Roy Hattersley was there, but he wasn't running.
    Last edited by Joester; 02-09-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Well.

Today's little challenge was the 9th Hills and Dales Challenge Walk.

It turned out not to be too popular with the runners, there were only about 2 dozen of us.

It was 24 miles, from High Ash Farm near Longnor, over to Flash, over Axe Edge Moor, over Goyt's Moss, down into Buxton, out to Brierlow Bar, down Brierlow Dale and up Horseshoe Dale and over to Earl Sterndale, Longnor village and back to High Ash. 1200m of ascent. I did it in 5 hours 40 mins and it hurt like hell, it must have been Newbie day because somehow I was second fastest overall!

I was pleased to get to the halfway checkpoint at Poole's Cavern in Buxton in 2 hours 20. I was running down through the golf course with a couple of fit-looking chaps who were going well. I was thinking 'blimey, these boys are keen, I've maybe bit-off a bit too much here'. We got to the checkpoint and they both got changed! That was it for them - 12 miles, the golf course was their home straight!
    I set off on the second half on me tod.

From about 15 miles in I was plagued by muscle cramps in my inner thighs and calves - very painful, and I was reduced to tiny strides and couldn't manage the slightest incline. This surprised me, as I'd put some sachets of Dioralyte in my platypus.
    It occured to me I might have made a grave error, and it perhaps wasn't such a great idea to be slurping away on a bladder full of mild saline solution whilst running along. I emptied the rest out as a precaution, resolving only to drink at the checkpoints.
    It was too late, though. I'd pretty much had it. I passed a couple of walkers, moving along well. They promptly sped up, doing that run-walking thing that the fast LDWA people do. We stuck with each other all the way back, but I don't think they realised that I'd set out an hour after them. I was really struggling to make myself jog - it made me want to whimper.

Next couple of weeks bring the Stanage Struggle and then the Nine Edges Challenge. I hope I go better on the Nine Edges than today.

good effort Joe

Dont worry about beer and chips, its a staple diet for many a runner

But do try and get the training frequency up, and make sure youve got a head torch. You'll be needing one soon, Ive already used mine this year.

Right, time for gin. Just the one though after last nights ginnageddon one WILL be enough!!!

I've got a mint headtorch, a Black Diamond Icon.
    The outdoor shop in our town was closing down, so I thought I'd go and grab a bargain.

I know what you mean about training frequency. It's the old story, I am obliged to try hard at work, it's not hard physically, but it's tiring mentally. Wife and three kids. Lots of DIY to do... Not all that easy to get long runs in.

There's a big difference between allocating a weekend or two a month to get fit for something like walking the Welsh 3000's, and donating enough time and effort to be able to shift one of these trail marathons in under 5 hours....

kids gotta be the biggest issue, do you have a cellar to lock them in?

Probably worth posting something in the training thread, there are no doubt others in the same boat that might advise.

Stanage Struggle today, complete with name on 'me top (did you see me?!).

What a lovely race, I had a great morning. There were some proper little battles going on today, I don't know who I finished with, but I've not come across anyone trying as hard as that so far. Good effort!

I came in a couple of minutes under the hour, and that'll do for me!

Thanks Fat Boys! See you next year! (how do you manage to sell those T-shirts so cheap?!).

Tonight's kebab tasted so good!

I was at this & came 3rd local lady & PB by over 3 mins. Hubby did it too & got 2nd local, though having lived in Hathersage all my life I hadnt a clue who the 1st local man was. I'm sure they said he was from Matlock?