Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gritstone Trail

Re: Gritstone Trail

Just had another run along the Trail today, pretty much on the spur of the moment (i.e. I decided last night). 7:09 this time, more than half an hour faster than earlier in the month. The weather was pretty good, particularly this morning, with blue skies & little wind. It was still a bit hazy, so no views across to the Welsh hills, but I could see a lot more of the Cheshire Plain & the Peak hills. If anything it was even muddier than on the 5th, but I ran in my Mudclaws this time. I'd advise anyone to run it in studs in muddy weather. Why faster? Mostly I think because I've been training more now I'm recovered from a couple of months coughing. Mind you, finishing in daylight will have helped too. I'll have another go in the Spring probably, & I'll post in advance in case anyone wants to join me. For the record, both runs were Kidsgrove Station to Disley Station via Lyme Park, not on the road short cut.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    I'll have another go in the Spring probably, & I'll post in advance in case anyone wants to join me. For the record, both runs were Kidsgrove Station to Disley Station via Lyme Park, not on the road short cut.
    I am more or less out of action at the moment but will look out for this for next year Andy.

A last minute decision to have another go at this saw me parking up at Disley again this morning & catching the train to Kidsgrove. I decided to go it alone deliberately this time, as I wanted to use it as a toughener for my BG attempt the weekend after next. So...the agenda was no moral or physical support, & go as fast as I thought I could get away with. And hope the lungs could take it.

And it went jolly well. Admittedly I wasn't so fit in November when I did it twice, but today I started out with knotted calves as a result of 25 miles in 4 days after a 2-week lay-off. I did it in 6:37, more than half an hour faster than in November's 2nd run, & I feel OK. Bring on the mountains!
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

Had an enjoyable plod round the Gritstone today. Disley to Kidsgrove way. Bad decision that was, strong headwinds all day. Very muddy underfoot in places, particularly the middle section Macc - Congleton. Managed to lose the trail completely after Mow Cop and didn't see it again til Kidsgrove station. Not sure what went wrong there.
    More of a sociable walk / jog than a run so it took 9 and a half hours. Will have a proper attempt in a few weeks.

I did it last September in the rain and mist so didn't see much! Just went slightly wrong once but still took 10 hours. I went Kidsgove to Disley taking the early train. I think that's the great thing about it - having stations at both ends.

This looks fun!Any consensus on which direction is best?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
    This looks fun!Any consensus on which direction is best?
    A lot may depend on where you live. I went south to north so I didn't have as far to drive when I finished. There's quite a bit of canal at the Kidsgrove end so it might be best to take advantage of that when you are fresh - it could get a bit tedious if it's at the end!

maddaddy

I'm planning on a go this year - is the route fairly straight forward on the southern bit? Never been on the trail beyond Ruston Spencer and just want to run without having to be too concerned about a taking a wrong turn

I had not been on any of it so I had to concentrate on the map quite a lot otherwise you could miss a turning but there are some good stretches of running. I had rain and poor visibility so not the best environment for quick navigation.

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MAN View Post
    A lot may depend on where you live. I went south to north so I didn't have as far to drive when I finished. There's quite a bit of canal at the Kidsgrove end so it might be best to take advantage of that when you are fresh - it could get a bit tedious if it's at the end!
    Agree completely. Also, parking's free at Disley station, but you have to pay at Kidsgrove. But, if you're in danger of it going dark on you, the south end is easy navigation from Mow Cop - down the road, along the canal. The north end is a bit fiddly in the dark.

I found the route easy enough to navigate first time, with a 1:25000 map & compass, apart from the last couple of miles in the dark! The route's marked on the OS maps.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club