Thread: 50-something and Hip pain

50-something and Hip pain

There's a piece (Thoughts on Hip Pain) in Denise Park's article in the Summer 2011 Fellrunner (p67), which seems to capture my situation exactly - went to GP complaining of hip pain, got X-Rayed, diagnosed with early signs of osteo-arthritis, in a few years will require a hip replacement...

The article then goes on to say that once the injury has been treated, "...it is important to restore the restricted range, improve balance ... restore strength to the weakened tissues and then target specific exercises relevant to running."

It started in March 2010 with sudden acute hip pain. A local physio diagnosed piriformis syndrome and gave me treatment and some stretches. The acute phase soon went away but I've never got back any semblance of running form; my R hip is quite stiff. An orthopaedic assessment was suggested: I went to my GP, got an X-Ray and saw a consultant as described above.

Maybe I should take the DP article to the GP and/or others and see if anyone picks up on it (a bit late after 18 months?).

Does anyone have any advice or similar experiences to relate?

Rob
    Gone peakbagging

Re: 50-something and Hip pain

I have had a similar problem with my knees where I have had x-rays and scans which show minor signs of arthritis - as probably all 50+ year old joints will!! I would support Denise Park's view that the cause of the pain/discomfort is unlikely to be the arthritis - it's the soft tissue damage surrounding the joint. I think generally the arthritis diagnosis is a cop out for GP's and consultants. Physio and exercises have not solved my problem but it enables me to perform at a reasonable level.

The problem is finding someone - a physio like Denise - with a more enlightened approach. There is also the added complication as to whether any damaged tissue is accessible to massage and breakdown particularly if it is under the knee. I suspect similar problems may exist with the hip.

I suppose my main point is to say don't give up - keep pursuing it. You should be able to get 6 sessions of physio through the NHS by referral from your GP.

I think up to date physios are likely to subscribe to Denise Park's scepticism about arthritis diagnoses. However, I fear that unless your GP is able to refer you to a physio of your choice, you are unlikely to find one by that route who can help. You don't say where you are geographically. I can recommend physios in Sheffield, Harrogate and Leeds who would be a good bet for you, and if you ask I'm sure forumites will suggest gifted and avant-garde physios in other areas.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    I can recommend physios in Sheffield, Harrogate and Leeds who would be a good bet for you, and if you ask I'm sure forumites will suggest gifted and avant-garde physios in other areas.
    If you know someone in Leeds who is good with knees it would be appreciated - in case I need one in future. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    You don't say where you are geographically. I can recommend physios in Sheffield, Harrogate and Leeds who would be a good bet for you, and if you ask I'm sure forumites will suggest gifted and avant-garde physios in other areas.
    Thanks for your reply, also MM's. I'm in Peterborough, Cambs.

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MAN View Post
    I suppose my main point is to say don't give up - keep pursuing it. You should be able to get 6 sessions of physio through the NHS by referral from your GP.
    Thanks MM. I also have a private health plan through work but they are a bit protective over their budgets and it is they who referred me to a particularly useless (sorry Traditional) consultant last year. I had kind of given up on it til I saw Denise's article...

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    Thanks MM. I also have a private health plan through work but they are a bit protective over their budgets and it is they who referred me to a particularly useless (sorry Traditional) consultant last year. I had kind of given up on it til I saw Denise's article...
    Unfortunately it is something of a lottery with referrals and choice of physios. I was given a choice of 3 places by my GP. The private hospital I chose was not much use on the physio front either but the thing I got out of it was that the x rays and scans did not show significant deterioration of the joints so that gave me the confidence to keep on doing stuff as I knew I was not doing serious damage.

Anyway good luck with it - I hope you make some progress.