Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bleaklow & the B29 wreck

Question Bleaklow & the B29 wreck

If you were taking a party of sedentary chubsters up Bleaklow with a view to having a gander at the wreckage of the B29 Superfortress would you

a.) Park where the pennine way crosses the snake pass and walk on up.

or

b.) Park at Torside reservoir and follow the pennine way from that side

This bunch of lads haven't really done any challenging walking (let alone running) anywhere. I've tempted them with the promise of visiting a bit of destruction (come and see the plane crash) followed by a few pints and a curry.

Any information from forumites with experience of the area would be much appreciated. Are there any nasty things to watch out for? bogs, cliffs, remote tribes, white dog poo etc? :w00t:
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Re: Bleaklow & the B29 wreck

From Snake is the easiest way. Up the Pennine way, hang a left, head for the trig point, you can't really miss it, its on your right as you get up there.
    Dont turn left too early or you'll end up going down and up rather more than you need to.

for a slightly longer turn out, keep going up the PW til you can see Hern Stones, walk to Hern stones, then head across the moor (slightly challenging terrain, and a chance to see your lads go knee deep in a bog) and again, as long as you head for the trig, you really cant miss it.

I'd agree with that, You could take in Bleaklow summit as well. I guess it depends on how old(young), strong and numbers in group.

If you wanted a longer more interesting route instead following the motoway along the PW start from old Glossop (Shelf Moor route) then switch on to the James Thorne race path up JT and take in the Lancaster KB993 of 408 Squadron R.C.A.F. Crashed 18th May 1945 approx 100 on right as you crest the the top(small trod) not much but a taster of the big wreck to follow. Then continue up to Shelf Stones and the B29
    Then return down Doctors Gate.

You could even go up Ashton Clough from Doctor's Gate where there is another wreck -a bit of a scramble and slippy if you stick to the stream so it would depend on the group.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    You could even go up Ashton Clough from Doctor's Gate where there is another wreck -a bit of a scramble and slippy if you stick to the stream so it would depend on the group.
    I was going to mention that one but the group sounded a little inexperienced but 3 wrecks would make it 50% better

What about a bleaklow wrecks race? add the other 5. start from Old Glossop, 8 wrecks in any order. Tough race

(Edit) A quick tally 18 miles + lots of rough climbing!
    Last edited by IanDarkpeak; 19-08-2011 at 07:51 PM.

oooh, that sounds good. my mind is whirring with route choices.... youd need to visit the wreck though, and not just the epitaph, because the Skytrain plaque is on the same site as the Lancaster.... which would be a 2 in 1er....

Quote Originally Posted by zephr View Post
    oooh, that sounds good. my mind is whirring with route choices.... youd need to visit the wreck though, and not just the epitaph, because the Skytrain plaque is on the same site as the Lancaster.... which would be a 2 in 1er....
    The Wellington would need pinpoint navving as theres hardly any thing there.

1st September any one?

Thanks for the replies everyone. From what I can gather the wreck is situated on High Shelf Stones. So If I follow the suggested route and go to the cairn on Bleaklow Head first it looks like my corpulent mates might have to do a bit of climbing in an area called Hern Clough.

Am I correct in saying that when we leave Bleaklow Head
    in search of the B29 we then turn-back on ourselves but head for Wain's stones and then onto High Shelf Stones?

PS - just found an interesting website http://highpeakbob.piczo.com/?g=1908934&cr=3

I had no idea there was so much up there
    Last edited by Danbert Nocurry; 19-08-2011 at 08:50 PM.
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

sedentary chubsters....? Didnt realise i'd signed up for a walk in the peak

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert Nocurry View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. From what I can gather the wreck is situated on High Shelf Stones. So If I follow the suggested route and go to the cairn on Bleaklow Head first it looks like my corpulent mates might have to do a bit of climbing in an area called Hern Clough.

Am I correct in saying that when we leave Bleaklow Head
    in search of the B29 we then turn-back on ourselves but head for Wain's stones and then onto High Shelf Stones?

PS - just found an interesting website http://highpeakbob.piczo.com/?g=1908934&cr=3

I had no idea there was so much up there
    Yes Wainstones-Hern stones-Shelfstones. however if it's very foggy best to return to Hern clough as it's easy to wander up there. very flat and boggy

There's also the Langsett Wansderer which has lots of interesting stuff. I've chatted to both in the past with regards tea plants and other hidden secrets http://www.thelangsettwanderer.piczo.com/?cr=6