Thread: Pendleton fell race

Might have another crack at this race on Saturday
    See the light in the night

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Might have another crack at this race on Saturday
    See you there mate, love this one.
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Weather looks set fair for the race tomorrow - a bit of give in the ground but the tussocks/reeds/nettles and bracken seem to get rougher each year😳
    The local farmer may be bringing silage in so please park responsibly in the village.
    Hope to see you there
    Cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Foot View Post
    ........the tussocks/reeds/nettles and bracken seem to get rougher each year....
    I hope you've been out with a scythe Mike :-)

Cracker, again. Thanks to Mike and the team for putting it on and for providing the weather ;-)
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Spontaneous or creature of habit?

Most weekends I find myself fell racing pretty much every Saturday and Sunday.....probably more so driven by obsession rather than habit to be honest.

Today I was in a right pickle with all the choices on offer race wise. I'd eventually decided it was either going to be Arnison Crag or Pendleton, with me swaying more towards Arnison Crag as I'd not previously done it and wanted to tick it off. However a Friday nightshift had left me feeling drained after only 4hrs sleep (7:30am-11:30am) and the longer drive to the Lakes wasn't too appealing....but Arnison needed bagging!

I'd hatched a plan: whilst driving on the motorway I'd literally leave my decision right up until the last second. I'd let spontaneity take over and either take the junction for Pendleton or carry on up to the Lakes. My hand was slightly forced with the volume of traffic that was evidently going north so off I went to Pendleton....not quite as spontaneous as I'd envisaged....but compared to Clayton runner Mark Nutter......I'd better explain

Mark is a fell running stalwart, he's been around forever...unfortunately his much loved purple shorts are no longer part of the fell scene, but thankfully Mark is and today was his 32nd consecutive Pendleton race.....just think about that for a minute...for 32 consecutive years Mark has made the startline and finished Pendleton fell race.

Does Mark Nutter's fantastic sequence of Pendleton appearances make him a creature of habit? I think it does and it's quirky actions like this that make our amazing sport just that bit more special....thank you Mark, you're an inspiration, may you rack up many more.

Many thanks to Mike and all helpers.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    Does Mark Nutter's fantastic sequence of Pendleton appearances make him a creature of habit? I think it does and it's quirky actions like this that make our amazing sport just that bit more special....thank you Mark, you're an inspiration, may you rack up many more.
    He's even got a good Pendle surname. Was one of his ancestors hanged at Lancaster?

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    He's even got a good Pendle surname. Was one of his ancestors hanged at Lancaster?
    Aye, I think she was, but it was in 1612 ~ way before my time ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    Spontaneous or creature of habit?
    ..........Does Mark Nutter's fantastic sequence of Pendleton appearances make him a creature of habit? I think it does and it's quirky actions like this that make our amazing sport just that bit more special....thank you Mark, you're an inspiration, may you rack up many more.

Many thanks to Mike and all helpers.
    I think we're all creatures of habit to some extent Daz (a bit like you 'Fishwicking' every weekend ~ I don't know how you do it) but the reason I run at Pendleton each year is simple ~ I can turn up to without driving for hours in Bank Holiday traffic, which was exactly the same reason that you chose Pendleton too.

Thanks for your kind comments Daz.

I'm really sorry but the 2018 Pendleton race due next week (25th August) will have to be cancelled.

Road work on the nearby Clitheroe bypass has forced a diversion through Pendleton village and the traffic flow has increased substantially.

I had planned a shorter race route avoiding the main street but having spent some time in the village, speaking with local people, it is evident that the usual race day parking cannot be safely accommodated.

Please can you let as many people know about this. Apologies for the short notice and hope to see you all on August Bank Holiday Saturday 2019

Best wishes

Mike Eddleston
    RO Pendleton