Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World mountain running

World mountain running

Can anyone explain to me how it all works?

I've seen for instance the 'mountain running international cup':
    http://www.mnric.com/news.php?idioma=eng
    of which the Nuria Classic was one component this year.

Then there's the International Sky Running Federation, and their series / championship:
    http://www.skyrunning.com/index.php?...=160&Itemid=99

And then there's this UKA sponsored comp:
    http://www.uka.org.uk/competitions/m...ing-challenge/

Are some of the top runners contracted to one of these bodies or the other, so that they only run in that body's races (a bit like the darts) or is everyone free to compete in all three of these?

I noticed for instance that the top names at the Nuria Classic this year were very different from the top names at Sierre-Zinal. OK different races, different countries, but as they are two of the biggest mountain races in Europe, I'd've thought the same bunch of top runners might be contesting both.
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 24-08-2011 at 02:02 PM.

Re: World mountain running

Oooh, Oooh!! Big Scab!! Who's gonna pick it??!!!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Dont forget the WMRA who organise their own 6 race Grand Prix series, World Mountain Running championships and World Long Distance Challege

I ran les course des perics in Les Angles, Pyrenees last year which was in the Mnric, great event and I got a free buff, but the standard blew me away a bit, I was right at the back with all the injured and elderly for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Twister View Post
    I ran les course des perics in Les Angles, Pyrenees last year which was in the Mnric, great event and I got a free buff, but the standard blew me away a bit, I was right at the back with all the injured and elderly for this one.
    Really? I found I was pretty much in the same part of the field as I end up in in UK races - in the 25-35% band. I enjoyed them more though I think - I prefer that traily runnable terrain.

I can't explain how the whole World Mountain running thing works. But, as far as I am aware Nuria was previously just a mountain race in Catalonia until Catalonia wanted to send a Catalan team to the Sky Running European Championships in Italy the year before last. Sky Running said no so the people that organise Nuria and the Catalan runners boycotted Italy and created a new Mountain Running International Cup which is why Kilian raced Nuria 2 years ago rather than going to Italy.

The MNRIC people are in the process of looking at adding a British race to the calendar which Gary is helping them with.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong!

Debbie
    www.pyrenees-haven.com

P.S Anyone fancing a September running break will recieve a 10% discount if you book a half board stay...
    Last edited by Pyrenees Haven; 25-08-2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: got my years wrong and Gary added his bit

WMRA are the IAAF affiliated mountain running body, the genaerally accepted world governing body of athletics.
    UKA organise a Mountain running series of races which is a domestic series of races, some of which incorporate trial races for international races.

MNRIC and Sky Running are a bit like the Trunce series. It's just a bunch of races under a collective banner.

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    Really? I found I was pretty much in the same part of the field as I end up in in UK races - in the 25-35% band. I enjoyed them more though I think - I prefer that traily runnable terrain.
    Yeah I guess it had something to do with bad preperation - lack of sleep due to camping for 1 month with pregnant wife and child, 30 degree heat day of race, the hellish climb to the top of Peric in the heat, 3000 metre altitude, eating a raw onion salad the night before (why did I think that was a good idea?) And being generally knackered. First race i've ever walked on the flats! But I thought the standard of runners was high, even the mid pack seemed to roll along at a pace a bit too fast for my liking. (are we talking about the same race BTW, Course des Perics 2010? - I thought I was the only British in the race?)

Now maybe if I'd worn those damn compression socks like all those trendy euro runners...

Just seen this crap in the Indi
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/g...u-9042659.html
    unlike the traditional fell-running events that have been taking place in Cumbria for almost 100 years, which tend to involve courses up to marathon distance and a single peak
    Single Peak!! I suppose so on the sprints
    the 3x3 Ultra will be almost 50 miles long and take in three mountains, including Scafell Pike, the tallest in England, with a total elevation of almost three miles.
    I suppose they will spend 40 miles running around a lake!

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Just seen this crap in the Indi
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/g...u-9042659.html

Single Peak!! I suppose so on the sprints

I suppose they will spend 40 miles running around a lake!
    Surprised this hasn't been discussed more.

The race looks good, nice addition. Ricky designed it so it'll be a good route, he knows the lakes.

The quote re single peak is odd. I was trying to think of one long which does? Possibly Slioch... Well FTOP is one hill but multiple times...

I think Sky running can exist in the UK but it needs to tread lightly.. that article doesn't tread lightly..

It also plays on the money too much for me.. and there has been money in the sport in the past and there is money in ultra running..